S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've owned this 91 2.5L S10 for almost a year now. it's slowly developed a starting issue. it was very intermitten at first but now seems to be pretty regular. The truck runs and drives great! it just randomly will not fire when starting (not even a pop). it's worse when cold. It cranks strong and fast. In mornings, if I try and wait and try and wait, it will eventually start. or I can give it a small shot of starter fluid and it fires right up and purrs like a kitten. also, if I roll down my very mild driveway and bump it, it fires right up (hardly even turns a revolution before starting)! after it's driven a bit, it usually starts up no prob but not always. After work when it's cooled off, same issue (it's been in the 80's out).
I'm certain its a fuel issue due to the starter fluid always working.
I've opened up the solinoid and it looks clean and works when the dey is turned (turn key on and it clicks shut (on) for about 5sec, then opens again)
I read a recent post on starting issue but I think my issue is different.
Thanks!
P.S. what should the resistance be across the CTS at 70deg?
does my 91 have a IAT sensor?

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Read my sig link for the CTS values.

Check fuel pressure, change the fuel filter, then might check the grounds on the fuel pump, then possibly replace the pump if need be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It runs excellent once started. has plenty of power at full speed on the freeway so the filter is not plugged. not sure if the grounding of the pump could cause this starting issue but I'll check it. thanks for the link! I'll use it tonight to check sensor.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Could be the pump getting weak.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts