S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the 91's come with a radio wiring harness/plug pre-installed? If so, where'd they hide it?

If not, can I just snip the lighter socket wire and power with that. Shouldn't draw that much juice (?!?!)

TIA,

Seth

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No radio now. Didn't come with one. Nothing to plug a harness into that I can find. That's my prob.

·
W3RdMan
77 Posts
i have a '91 sonoma...it was a mess when i got it. i snipped the wires that were there and wired em to the wiring harness that cames with the radio, and BAM! i have a cd player. if u want, pm me and ill give u a step by step

·
Registered
806 Posts
If the plug is gone, your gonna have to test for wires. All GM cars are the same, and are as followed.

Orange- 12v constant
Yellow - 12v switched
Black - Ground

Front left speaker + tan
Front left speaker - gray
Front right speaker + light green
Front right speaker - dark green

Rear left speaker + brown
Rear left speaker - yellow
Rear right speaker + dark blue
Rear right speaker - light blue

Alot of times when the plug is cut off and you have to hard wire the radio in, some of the fuses are cooked and you wont read any power. Make sure you test ALL OF THE FUSES if for some reason you cant find constant power or switched power.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

Any reason the constant power has to wire direct to the battery like the install manual says? Can I just drag it from the fuse block?

·
Registered
806 Posts
The power wire that went to the factory radio is enough power to run just about any radio out there today, unless you have one of the 60x4 Alpine decks. If thats the case, run the wire straight to the battery, or grab power off the large gauge red wire at the steering column.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts