S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Finally Bagged!!!
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask all my other automotive related questions on this site and have good luck at getting the answers i need to i figured i'd ask this one here aswell...

I"ve just inherited a 91 f-150 from my dad... and i have to get it off the property that it's on quickly... and nobody has keys for it... is there a way for me to get the truck into neutral and unlock the steering wheel so that i can tow it without the keys? I know that i can get a key cut by a locksmith i just cannot afford it right now and i need to get this truck moved... any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
resident crybaby
1,517 Posts
you can take out the driveshaft

·
resident crybaby
1,517 Posts
:tup:

·
Registered
457 Posts
You don't need to take out the driveshaft. You can get under it and put the tranny in neutral by hand on the shifter linkage on the side of the tranny.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
If you are going to be towing it 25 miles, it's best to take the driveshaft out. Otherwise you'll fry the tranny. Been there, done that.

I know how to remove the lock cylinder, but it's hard to explain because it's somewhat in-depth. I'll see if I can dig up a how-to on it.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
how will i know when it's in nuetral? is it just like changing gears from inside? one your in reverse.. then two in neutral??

If you so choose to tow it without removing the driveshaft, as long as you have it out of park, it doesn't matter what "gear" it's in because the engine isn't running, therefore no fluid is being pumped through the tranny. Any gear will be neutral.

·
White trash minitrucker
262 Posts
Is it 4x4? just reach in and put the transfer case in neutral.

·
Finally Bagged!!!
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
does it have a sliding back window? if so climb in and put it in N.
it's not locked, i just need the key to unlock the steering wheel and put the truck in neutral... also, it's not a 4x4.. unfortunately..

·
Finally Bagged!!!
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it's looking like i'm going to end up using a roll back wrecker and just tuggin the bia up on the truck.... because i've got to be in and out in a matter of a few minutes...it's my truck..(or dads) it's just the people will prolly call the police when they see me doing it... they just dont know i am the police.. haha, and i don't feel like dealing with other cops not understanding the situation... i might fool a little with the drive shaft if it doesn't take awhile to remove but i'm figuring it taking awhile.. then when i get the truck home i can fool with the keys and shit...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts