S-10 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I now have a '91 S-10 4x4 chassis with motor and 700R4, I need to eliminate all the computer controlled stuff and make it manual. (putting 1950 chevy truck body on it) Mainly, there are a lot of hoses and wires going to the transmission and transfer case, and I need to know how to safely eliminate them.

-Back in the day, my buddy had a on/off switch for his torque converter lockup in a 700R4... that would be ideally simple for this application...

-Dont know why any vac hoses would be going to the transfer case anyway...

-I know I could convert it to a manual valve body, but would only do so as a last resort

This is a budget build using spare parts, I'm putting an old 2bbl stromberg carb on the 4.3. I hope to keep the kickdown linkage as is.

also, where is the VIN located on the chassis of the S10?

any advice about this would be very helpful. Hers a photo of the "new" truck

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
The vacuum hoses are to engage the front differential for 4 wheel drive.

·
Bold as Love
1,869 Posts
I've been there with a two wheel drive and a '54 F-100. I kept the TBI at first, considered a carb swap, and then went with a 307 SBC.

You can get lucky and find a carb intake and Vaccum Advance distributor for a 4.3 in Junkyards or old Used Car Dealership parts rooms/warehouses. It will take some digging, and it will also be a challenge to get the 4x4 to engage.

If it was me, I'd keep the wider 4x4 rear end and sell the rest for scrap or parts and use a 2wd frame. Their all dime a dozen (no pun intended). The wider rear end will clear a older stepside bed easily, and you can just swap in a carb'd small block with no issues and be on the road much quicker than trying to save some money and running into a nightmare that will never get done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts