S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am R&Ring a 91 s10 blazer 4.3 4wd at because it wasn't wanting to shift properly. I guess I will start at the beginning, its always been hard shifting out of first into second (have only owned this vehicle for six months and had to have engine bottom half rebuilt already) and but three weeks ago it started not wanting to upshift at all, till I thought the engine was gonna explode. I checked the tranny fluid and it looked alright color-wise and at the right level, but it had quite a few bubbles in it that worried me, next I crawled underneath and dropped the skid plate and checked the transfer case level and got a big surprise. It drained out about a quart and a half of fluid from the fill spot meaning it had way more fluid in it then it should of had (weird, should this be something I should worry about).

So I took it to a local transmission shop and they said "ya, your transmissions fried, it will cost at least 1800 to replace", ouch.

So I babied it home and went to the friendly neighborhood junkyard and got a 90day warrantied transmission for 375. Then I went to Bumper2Bumper (a local autoparts chain) and got front and rear seals and a filter/pan-gasket kit for it along with a transfer case to transmission gasket.

I have only replaced one transmission before in my life, on an 88 jimmy with 2.8 2wd, and thought this one would be pretty similar however I am daunted by the amount of stuff I will have to take off to do it.

I am going by a haynes manual so the first thing i did was put the shifter into 4HI, put on the emergency brake, jack up the front end and put it on jackstands, remove the skid plate, drain the transfer case and try to disconnect the front output shaft and rear driveshaft. Here's where I am stuck at, the darn things won't come off, I don't remember how I did it with my other s10, but it seems as if I'm forgetting something on how to drop the shafts.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Once you take the u-bolts or the straps off , depending on the design, you just slowly pry the u joint out of the yokes and make sure the caps don't come off tham

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that worked, however one of the front driveshafts cap came off, I straightened the pins in it and adding some grease to it and slipped it back on, is that going to cause me problems, didn't look like I broke anything.

poconojoe said:
Once you take the u-bolts or the straps off , depending on the design, you just slowly pry the u joint out of the yokes and make sure the caps don't come off tham
Now I just finished removing the shifter from the inside, manual says to remove the shift rod from the shifter by prying it with a screwdriver, no pictures so I am gonna assume its the rod I can see from underneath the vehicle attached to the shift pivot bracket.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
I think you're right about the rod, it's been a while since I took one apart. As long as you got all the bearing back in place and the cap goes all the way on and rotates smoothly, you shouldn't have an issue with the ujoint. Make sure you wrap tape around the ujoint while it off, so you don't knock the caps back off

1 - 4 of 4 Posts