S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i just bought this 89 s15 pickup for 2300usd. It has 35k miles on it, a 4 cylinder manual. The heater core started to leak on the way home once it was properly warmed up, so im in the process of changing that out.

I would appreciate any nuggets of wisdom that you can lay upon me; my plan is to keep this truck indefinitely as a daily commuter (20miles round trip) with a yearly 1000 mile road trip. Thanks

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
307 Posts
The S-10 series trucks prefer factory ACDelco and GM tune-up and fuel system parts for the best results. Otherwise good maintenance and preventative maintenance will get you the longest use. Keep it clean and if driven in the salt, have it washed even in the winter so the salt doesn't build up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's good to know, thanks. I have been reading about the iron duke. Super duty sounds interesting. Any idea what transmission I would have? Its geared quite high. Maybe I can prepare a gearing change when I change the clutch years down the line

Any steering ratio swaps?

Id also like to add gauges for rpm and temp; maybe swap in cruise control. What cool features will swap in?

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
307 Posts
You could consider swapping to a 5 speed manual transmission to gain the overdrive for those high rpm's. A steering gearbox from an Xtreme will give you a tighter ratio. Power brakes are easy if you don't have that already.

·
life begins @ 20 psi
671 Posts
Congrats on the iron duke'd first gen! Only 35K miles? Wow I think that's the lowest mileage truck first gen that I have heard of outside of a collectors truck... I know that if you take care of them they can and will run forever. Regarding the heater core, you are in luck. They are VERY easy to replace on these. You can read a how to here. And you can read my $.02 when I did mine here. I just removed the one in my 1992 to flush it out because the end tank on the radiator was cracked and the previous owner dumped stop leak in it. However, it was very easy because I had the dash out when I did it ;).

·
Registered
296 Posts
Any idea what transmission I would have? Its geared quite high. Maybe I can prepare a gearing change when I change the clutch years down the line
Judging by your username, you have a T5 - that's the only 5 speed manual offered in these trucks. Check out the sticker in your glove box to figure out what your rear end ratio is. The code for the rear end ratio starts with a G. It's probably GU6, which is 3.42.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments, ive been studying the forums as well. I have the new heater core in and the interior back together. Here is my service parts codes, ive got a GT4, looks like 3.73....that wont do at all!
20191129_141933~2.jpg

·
Registered
210 Posts
I can chime in on the find : Good for you in finding such a low mileage vehicle . The motor is quite a marvel of simple engineering. Pretty basic in terms of service repairs and actually you probably won’t be doing too much in the repair category . They are pretty staunch , keep the oil happy , and don’t over rev the motor and it will last . The T-5 can take whatever the 2.5 can dish out, never worry about it blowing up . I’ve got over 200,000 on my 88 2.5 w the T-5 . It’s strong and happy go lucky . Enjoy your ride and remember , there are far and few left that are worthy .

·
Registered
210 Posts
I put a 3:42 in my rear , the stock 3:75 made the engine rpm’s too high . I have a nice highway cruzer now .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nice. What do you think of going even lower than that? 3.23 or even 3.08? What size wheels are you using? This came with what looks like the original 14's, 195/75/14. Truck is comfortably cruising the highway in 5th at 60mph, 65+ is starting to get high strung

Also just got this in the mail, it will be some time before I clean it up and install
20191129_161131~2.jpg

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I don't believe that instrument panel is going to work, is it cable driven on the back? Your's is electronic. You could also go up in tire size to get a higher ratio and see how it likes it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh boy, yes this is cable driven. I think im in for some serious surgery on this unit. The size/scale looks the same, i will eventually have a go at swapping in the stock speedometer gauge then. I suppose i should move over to a dedicated project thread at this point

1 - 12 of 12 Posts