S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone new to the s10 scene love the truck but have a problem . I have an 89 s10 4.3 tbi vin z lb4 engine it has a stripped spark plug hole on cylinder 5 seems it was attempted to be threaded again so wanting to replace the heads. I have a pair of late 90s vortec heads but don't know what intake manifold came stock to see if they will fit or i have to buy new intake i did some digging around but can't find much and if i do swap any other parts I need. Any help is appreciated thank you everyone

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,699 Posts
You'll need new everything from the block up to match the heads. Then there's an issue of fuel delivery. You'd be better off just getting stock replacements.

·
Been there Done it
9,228 Posts
Making those heads work with TBI would cost a bunch more than a new head. Rebuilt head would be less. Used head even less.
The stock intake on a truck with Vortec heads is completely different animal and would require reworking different PCM, wiring, fuel system, EGR plumbing, cooling system mods. I'm sure there are others I forgot.
Of all the S10's I've owned in the last 39 years my favorite was an 89 TBI extended cab 4wd. Super reliable, adequate power, decent fuel mileage, and the ride wasn't too bad. Wish I had kept it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
You don't need both heads. In fact, if you're going to pull off the head anyway, call up a local machine shop and have them price professionally adding an insert into the left head. I suspect you'll find that's even cheaper than a used head, although if you find a fellow S10 gear-head with spares, you might get a head for free or super-cheap. The machine shop will know that the actual location isn't super-critical, so they can give you the "sloppy work" price where they're not spending a bunch of time lining up the drill location and angle precisely because if it's off by 0.1" or 0.1° it's really not going to matter. And they'd probably get it closer than that just by eye-balling it anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't need both heads. In fact, if you're going to pull off the head anyway, call up a local machine shop and have them price professionally adding an insert into the left head. I suspect you'll find that's even cheaper than a used head, although if you find a fellow S10 gear-head with spares, you might get a head for free or super-cheap. The machine shop will know that the actual location isn't super-critical, so they can give you the "sloppy work" price where they're not spending a bunch of time lining up the drill location and angle precisely because if it's off by 0.1" or 0.1° it's really not going to matter. And they'd probably get it closer than that just by eye-balling it anyway.
Just the problem is someone tried threading it before since the thread that came off seemed like a yhread replacement I got a new insert but spins all the way through so its being held together by hopes and dreams till I resolve it. Can I take off more cause its already pretty big not sure it can be re threaded a second time

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,699 Posts
^Time-sert will probably work and cheaper!
He'd still have to take the head off. I don't know if they even have Time Serts for spark plugs.

Edit:

I guess they do...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Maybe a junkyard head? Disassemble it and have the shop check it for cracks, then put it back together. Probably your cheapest route if you can find one.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Maybe a junkyard head? Disassemble it and have the shop check it for cracks, then put it back together. Probably your cheapest route if you can find one.
I guess my point was: You're going to pull the head anyway, so before going and spending money on another one when the one you have might be usable for cheaper and improved "reuse", take the head to a shop and get a quote from a shop for a Time-sert spark plug repair. If the price of a head is less, then go for it. It's my expectation that the Time-sert would be cheaper, easier to acquire, and lower risk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts