S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found one of those deals I see a lot of people getting, on here. Picked up this 89 for $400, but trans is apparently stuck in 3rd or 5th gear.

Here's a few picks

Practically rust free, has solid floors with some surface rust I'm process of sanding and painting.

Probably will be picking up a transmission at pull-a-part soon.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I obviously need to get the trans fixed. Probably keep it as is for a while, need to teach my son and wife to drive a stick.

·
Registered
33 Posts
damn, i need someone to teach me that... Parents never owned a stick and neither have I.

That's what I call a WORK TRUCK. No options, missing interior parts, and whitewall tires. lol

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's got the 2.5. Windshield leaks I've noticed now, which it's cracked and needed replaced anyway.

I noticed it has been wrecked in front on the right front and the bumper bracket is broke off, but its all good easily fixed.

I have to get it in the garage so I can get the tranny out, been raining here alot lately.

Went to pullapart the other day and got some pieces of interior and found a couple of 5sp's, just need to go back and get one.

·
Registered
818 Posts
nice find.. my sister had one of those.. it was ok had the 4 speed in it. i got one of the "sweet deals" for sale right now that no-one wants..

88 gmc S-15 2.8L 4x4, 5 speed, extended cab. 3 inch body lift, 91' grille, body is in good shape, needs a rear bumper (just got a friends stock bumper, as i gave him my tube bumper for the front) and wipers, bell housing has mirrors.. no cracks in any of the windows..

but still no one wants it boooo!!! could use the cash. end thread jack haha..

·
Registered
661 Posts
Drive it to Ontario Canada and ill buy it 88GMCs-15 lol

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I picked up a 5spd at pull a part yesterday and it had gear oil in it, I know thats not what's supposed to be in it. I think that what happend to the tranny in this truck.

Anyone have any thoughts if it will be ok?

I'm definetly going to fllush it out and put atf in it is that what they still used in 91 which is what the tranny came out of?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Yeah, my owners manual for my 91 calls for ATF in the tranny..I can double check what spec here in a little bit for ya if you want. If they put gear oil in that tranny, it is gonna take more than a simple flushing to get that stuff off. We in the oil business use a tackifier in gear lube so that it sticks to parts really well, since most gear systems are splash lubricated and not pumped. But I have heard of people using anything from ATF to Syncromesh to Gear Oil in these t-5 with no harm done.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thanks, I'll flush it out the best I can, fill it up run it for a little bit and drain and fill again. I think it will be fine.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Alright man, not only do I still have my owners manual, but I have the 1991 service/maintenance schedule too which tells you all the factory recommended fluids, lol.....for the RPO ML2, ML3 and MH3 5 speeds it is calling for Dexron II ATF...so Dexron III ATF is today's equivalent. If the 5 speed is an RPO MH5, you should use Manual Transmission Fluid which is the Syncromesh

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I don't know which trans code I have, haven't in the glovebox yet, but the tranny I picked up yesterday is a borg/warner which ever code that equals to. Thanks

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I was searching today and found the rpo codes for the different trannys and now I can't find it.

I don't know if it was on here or another forum.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the tranny in today and all hooked up. Finally got to drive it, shifted good.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts