S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a hard time finding a tutorial for this replacement. Wondering if its easier to lower/remove the front differential or to raise the motor to do this oil pan gasket. Just got done doing valve cover gaskets so im not entirely dumb but im also not a grade A mechanic. Its 2.8L 4x4 89 s10 with auto transmission. Truck has custom exhaust and old chevy luv bed on it. Tips on how to do this oil pan gasket would be greatly appreciated.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,613 Posts
I'm not even sure that you can do it without taking the motor out, because you do have to clear the pump, or slice the gasket. Before you go any further, are you ABSOLUTELY sure that it's the pan gasket that is leaking? I've never seen one fail before. Typically that's the distributor leaking or the valve covers and you wind up seeing it all over the pan with fan, wind and gravity just tossing it everywhere. Just hate to see you invest that time and it not fix it. The oil filter adapter is also known to leak. The distributor is the A #1 most likely to cause that issue. If that turns out to be it, put a new o-ring on, and a 350 distributor paper gasket under the body of it. $.25 of security.

·
Been there Done it
12,461 Posts
IIRC the FSM has only 3 steps to remove the oil pan gasket.
1. Disconnect battery
2. Remove engine (see section so and so)
3. Remove oil pan bolts

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,613 Posts
Yes im sure its the oil pan gasket and its a pain. Just gunna pull the motor and do it that way thanks for the tip.
Ok, sounds good. Getting it out is good cause you can kinda refresh everything while out. I'd replace all the gaskets, oil pump, and especially the timing chain and probably the water pump. Oh and the dang ol freeze plugs! They turn to dust over time. Brass replacements if you can find them are best. The ones on the side are hard as hell. The ones on the back? Well, they are impossible without removing the transmission. Easy to do while you have it out. One other tip I found for valve covers. Someone told me this years ago and it helps. I don't think you can even get cork gaskets anymore, but if you could, don't use them. Rubber gaskets only. The trick is to not use any RTV, EXCEPT on the places where the head meets the intake. A dab on both sides. Leave the gaskets dry otherwise. Zero leaks that way.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts