S-10 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
The pitman arm is a non-wear item, no need to replace unless it was damaged somehow.
Yeah, I was only going to replace the pitman arm if I decided the box did need replaced. I'm going to do everything else to see how that impacts how it steers and drives and go from there. So it'll at least be a few months before I get to that point. Fingers crossed :)

Looking on FB marketplace last night I located a guy selling a front sway bar off an Xtreme s10. I'm hoping to pick that up this weekend and throw it on. That should make a huge impact, too, with how the truck handles.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
The Xtreme sway bar is the same as any 98+ Blazer, so don't spend too much on it as they're readily available in any junkyard for $20/30.

I think you're on the right track saving the steering box for last. Do be careful when you go to replace the box as most rebuilds/remanufactured boxes aren't replacing the hard parts that are wearing out. They take a worn out box, throw some seals at it, and tighten up the "adjustment" screw. I've had 2 boxes loosen up after about 1000 miles...

It's a bit more spendy, but look into blueprinted steering boxes if you want to eliminate the slop. Turn one, Lee Power Steering, and Red Head Steering Gear are the companies I know of. They're around $4-500, but I easily spent $300+ trying to find a rebuilt box that wasn't crap before I learned that lesson.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
The Xtreme sway bar is the same as any 98+ Blazer, so don't spend too much on it as they're readily available in any junkyard for $20/30.

I think you're on the right track saving the steering box for last. Do be careful when you go to replace the box as most rebuilds/remanufactured boxes aren't replacing the hard parts that are wearing out. They take a worn out box, throw some seals at it, and tighten up the "adjustment" screw. I've had 2 boxes loosen up after about 1000 miles...

It's a bit more spendy, but look into blueprinted steering boxes if you want to eliminate the slop. Turn one, Lee Power Steering, and Red Head Steering Gear are the companies I know of. They're around $4-500, but I easily spent $300+ trying to find a rebuilt box that wasn't crap before I learned that lesson.
Yep. I had read that. I'm definitely not overpaying for it, but good lookin' out :) All good info.

New front air deflector showed up today. Not sure what happened to the original air deflector but she's gone. I'm hoping to install this on the truck tonight or tomorrow. Should improve the front end quite a bit. :) I'll post pics once installed in case you all forgot what the front of a stock S10 looked like with a fresh air dam on it LOL

·
Boozebag
9,858 Posts
Too bad you bought the lower wind deflector. They sell the same one with the openings for fog lights for about $25. The factory fog lights and all brackets are still available too.
The wiring harness is easy to make and I run a relay with yellow halogen bulbs in each one.

Another note: You will need the saddles that hold the sway bar on the frame for the bigger sway bar. They are different (bigger)
I add urethane bushings in the saddles and the end links too. The rubber ones are usually beat.

Here's a link to one of my S10 projects:
Barbie Gets a New Rear End
Mainly for the brake and axle upgrades. Has lots of pix.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Too bad you bought the lower wind deflector. They sell the same one with the openings for fog lights for about $25. The factory fog lights and all brackets are still available too.
The wiring harness is easy to make and I run a relay with yellow halogen bulbs in each one.

Another note: You will need the saddles that hold the sway bar on the frame for the bigger sway bar. They are different (bigger)
I add urethane bushings in the saddles and the end links too. The rubber ones are usually beat.
I saw the ones with lights and just went with the no light solution mainly for simplicity at this point and it was only $20 shipped to my door. I may upgrade again later on down the road.

Also, I'm aware of the needs for mounting the sway bar. I assume I may have to drill holes to account for the larger saddles? The dude I hit up on Marketplace never did respond back to me so I'm still trying to track down a cheap solution. Once I find one I'll definitely be getting new end links and urethane bushing to go along with it. There are some on eBay that really aren't terribly priced but would rather see if I can't grab something local so we'll see what pops up. I'll give it a few more months and if nothing pops up locally I'll grab something on the eBay side for the sway bar. In the end, it definitely needs it bad. This truck has so much body roll it's ridiculous and that's with brand new shocks all the way around LOL

In other news, I just put in an order with Rock Auto over the weekend for the tie rods, ball joints and brakes including calipers and soft brake lines. It appears to be very likely that the calipers are original so figured while I was there might as well replace the soft lines, as well. The rear hardware looks like at the very least they've been in place for a really long time so the rear will get new drums, shoes and hardware while we're at it.

·
Boozebag
9,858 Posts
Actually, the bigger sway bar saddles bolt right on. A direct fit.
Too bad I'm not home, I am pretty sure have a few bigger sway bars. I bought all of them at the 2 upulls near me in Baton Rouge.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Actually, the bigger sway bar saddles bolt right on. A direct fit.
Too bad I'm not home, I am pretty sure have a few bigger sway bars. I bought all of them at the 2 upulls near me in Baton Rouge.
How much longer til you’re home? I’m in no hurry so can probably just wait if you’ve got one you’d like to sell.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
They shouldn't be that hard to find. Every 95+ 2WD Blazer has one sitting under it. Find someone parting a Blazer or go to the junkyard with your friend Andrew Jackson.

·
Boozebag
9,858 Posts
Dime, I never know when I will be released from my assignment. They usually notify me the day before and there is no predicting.
My guess would be sometime in late March.
As soon as I know, I'll PM you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Front cab body mount project complete

Next up is new head unit and dash speakers (not important) and the important stuff like tie rods, ball joints and going through the brakes. Once that’s all complete I’ll put carpet in

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Snowed pretty good this weekend (probably 4-6”). I was pleasantly surprised at how well she handled the snow :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
New head unit installed. I'll do speakers tomorrow or later tonight. Nothing fancy but enough to do the job. If the boys want more than this as they get to driving age they can use their own money and I'll help/teach them how to install it LOL

·
Boozebag
9,858 Posts
Those Polk speakers are the shite.
I installed a set in one of my dimes, although short on bass, (what can you expect from a tiny speaker) they sound excellent.

101 - 120 of 139 Posts