S-10 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
For those curious here are some more mediocre pics of the underside as I was fiddling with my clutch issue

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Started on the front struts yesterday. Bottoms of them pretty much fell out. Tops are rusted in place so tomorrow I’m doing some cutting with the die grinder as a bunch of other methods didn’t work yesterday. No idea how long these have been in but they are WAY past due for needing changed lol

I’m also planning on tackling the heater core tomorrow.

Hover S-10 until the clutch is sorted

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cool build. Looking forward to watching your progress over time. Should be a fun little build especially since it's for the kids to beat on. Make sure you get some pics/vids of them driving it for the first time.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,616 Posts
For the shock, get a socket and a very long extension on the upper nut, and rock it back and forth. It’ll bend and break the top of the shaft right off surprisingly easily. Just make sure the socket is good and snug.

·
Registered
98'S10 LS
24 Posts
Another possible reason for the clutch not fully disengaging is pilot bearing. Not all clutch kits come with one and I've pulled many trannys just to change them after a DIYer replaced his clutch and it was hard to get into gear afterwards.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Another possible reason for the clutch not fully disengaging is pilot bearing. Not all clutch kits come with one and I've pulled many trannys just to change them after a DIYer replaced his clutch and it was hard to get into gear afterwards.
My theory, as well. I’ve ordered a clutch kit that includes pilot bearing. I’ve also ordered a flywheel just in case I find that it needs replaced once I have it apart

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Heater core job complete. Oldest got involved and actually did a lot of it with instruction from me. He did a great job

also got the front struts completed. These are some ac Delco “heavy duty” struts from Rock Auto. We shall see how they do. Figured I’d give them a try.

also threw on a different steering wheel I had lying around. I need to clean it but I like it much better than whatever the PO has on there

·
Registered
47 Posts
Coming along nicely! That radiator just looks like overall better quality. That steering wheel is world's better. A 2 spoke steering wheel just never looked right IMO. Enjoy that time spent with your kid. It goes fast.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Coming along nicely! That radiator just looks like overall better quality. That steering wheel is world's better. A 2 spoke steering wheel just never looked right IMO. Enjoy that time spent with your kid. It goes fast.
I’ve got 4 boys. He’s the oldest and you’re right. Time flies!!! Can’t believe he’s almost 14 already.

·
Registered
98'S10 LS
24 Posts
It's better he's under the hood than sitting in the house playing video games.(y)
S10's don't have struts,those are coil over shocks. They will raise it a little and have a little firmer ride. More than likely just compensate for lost tension and sag of those old springs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So, after bleeding the slave cylinder 101.3 times I decided it was time to dive in and take the trans out to get a look at the clutch and throw out bearing. Throw out bearing was definitely bad. Clutch is okish but that, the pressure plate and flywheel are all original from the factory so they’re all getting replaced. Should be back on the ground and driving on Saturday. Had to cut the cross over pipe to get the trans out so it appears that’s getting replaced too LOL also decided to replace the starter while it’s out. I hate putting back old parts when I do projects like this so I figured for a part that costs $70 it was worth the expense. Also replacing the u-joints that were also original from 1989.

·
Boozebag
9,467 Posts
Nice progress!
I remember doing this kind of work on my back...
It convinced me to buy a 2 post lift.
Never looking back... ;)
(sorry about the pun)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Nice progress!
I remember doing this kind of work on my back...
It convinced me to buy a 2 post lift.
Never looking back... ;)
(sorry about the pun)
No doubt! I'm in a 3 car garage but the ceiling is now tall enough for a lift to work so on the back I go LOL I do have plans some day to update the garage/shop situation in the future but that's probably 5 years (or so) down the road at this point. So could be worse, but could also be better LOL

·
Boozebag
9,467 Posts
^^^ Going way back... On the ground (dirt) on my back and no creeper - just a nasty piece of cardboard.:(
It was great trying to maneuver a jack.
And the tree in my front yard with a come-along to remove an engine.
I must have looked like a real dumpy to my neighbors.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
^^^ Going way back... On the ground (dirt) on my back and no creeper - just a nasty piece of cardboard.:(
It was great trying to maneuver a jack.
And the tree in my front yard with a come-along to remove an engine.
I must have looked like a real dumpy to my neighbors.
Been there! My first house in my 20’s was a little single car 800 sq ft house. I built my ‘77 in that little garage. Cardboard to lay on was a luxury haha

21 - 40 of 90 Posts