S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 89 Blazer Tahoe with the 4.3 efi. Runs fine except for an occasional die at idel. I pulled the codes from the ECM and got the 51 code (faulty MEM-CAL, PROM or ECM). Currently I'm running some fuel system cleaner (Slick 50) which seems to clean things up so far. But being this is the wifes ride so...

Basicly I'm gonna pull the ECM clean contacts and reset it.
The question is am I on the right track, if the ECM or PROM was bad I should have consitant problems, not intermitant.

Thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
djw said:
Just picked up an 89 Blazer Tahoe with the 4.3 efi. Runs fine except for an occasional die at idel. I pulled the codes from the ECM and got the 51 code (faulty MEM-CAL, PROM or ECM). Currently I'm running some fuel system cleaner (Slick 50) which seems to clean things up so far. But being this is the wifes ride so...

Basicly I'm gonna pull the ECM clean contacts and reset it.
The question is am I on the right track, if the ECM or PROM was bad I should have consitant problems, not intermitant.

Thanks in advance:)
You are correct. Unless a solder joint is broken and is making an intermitant connection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the solder tip. I cleaned the connectors, but found a cold solder joint in the ribbon cable from the PROM PCB.
Runs like a champ now.

djw

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
djw said:
Thanks for the solder tip. I cleaned the connectors, but found a cold solder joint in the ribbon cable from the PROM PCB.
Runs like a champ now.

djw

Great glad to help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts