S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up this truck three days ago and am just starting to go through it. Found a hairline crack in the Intake Manifold around the center tube that connects to the EGR.

How best to proceed? J.B Weld, Junk Yard, $80 Ebay gamble or get a shop to weld it up? Any newer options/ upgrades I can do? Feels bad spending this kinda time and money on a stock intake.
Also, if a shop were to weld it, would I then also have to get a machine shop resurface?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I work at a machine/fabrication shop, and it's hard to say how much someone might charge for a quick job like this. I would tell any customer with a job like this that, being aluminum, there's a decent chance that it may continue to crack after being welded. To fix an aluminum part correctly, you're really supposed to drill out the ends of the crack, fill in the drill holes, etc.

Hard to say if it would need to be resurfaced until you see how much weld distortion you end up with.

Makes me wonder if the crack will even cause much of an air leak.

Bottom line, if you can buy a part that you feel better about, that's not a bad way to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the response. I called several shops near me after checking out local junk yards. No luck in finding anything. The shops I called ranged around $75 minimum with no guarantee it wouldn't warp the flange during the weld. I ended up dremeling the cracks to make a channel or trench and J.B'd it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I appreciate the response. I called several shops near me after checking out local junk yards. No luck in finding anything. The shops I called ranged around $75 minimum with no guarantee it wouldn't warp the flange during the weld. I ended up dremeling the cracks to make a channel or trench and J.B'd it.
Is that working out for you so far?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts