S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have a 88 s10 that I’ve been having light issues with. All my running lights work but my right side brake light and turn signals did not. I changed the turn signal switch and now I have front right turn signal but the rear turn signal and brake light is Still not working. I thought it was the bulb so I pulled it and checked. It is good but the plug looks a little crusty and maybe a little burned. Butttt the running light still works which is obviously the same light. So I’m guessing wires? I’m not sure where to start or where they even go? Any help or input would be appreciated

·
Been there Done it
7,094 Posts
If it has a trailer adapter start with removing that. I find a lot of the lighting issues in the rear are rusty or corroded wires that sometimes isn't visible. Start by unwrapping everything looking for rot or breaks or mouse chewing. Since it's the same filament of the one bulb look at the dark green wire in particular. The contact for that side could also be bad in the socket since you say it is crusty.
I had that issue on my 94 K1500 and it turned out a critter had eaten about 2" of just the green wire. Looks like it stood inside the bumper and had lunch at my expense.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it has a trailer adapter start with removing that. I find a lot of the lighting issues in the rear are rusty or corroded wires that sometimes isn't visible. Start by unwrapping everything looking for rot or breaks or mouse chewing. Since it's the same filament of the one bulb look at the dark green wire in particular. The contact for that side could also be bad in the socket since you say it is crusty.
I had that issue on my 94 K1500 and it turned out a critter had eaten about 2" of just the green wire. Looks like it stood inside the bumper and had lunch at my expense.
Awesome I’ll check that stuff out thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts