S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,I want to change out the driver side inner axle seal by differential. A mechanic at a transmission/differential shop told me I don’t have to remove that small plate by front dif. to replace that seal. Ca
n anyone confirm this.

And would it help to place a little sealant (ctv) sealant around the seal before putting it in.
Thanks if anyone has done this before.
Cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did not remove that plate when I did my 89. I went to napa and got a axle bearing puller. Returned it after and got my money back. I dont think you need any sealer. They are super tight and will seal fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the info, appreciate that very much. Now I can go ahead. Are you say you used a axle bearing remover to pull out the seal? This is with a slide hammer style?

I was just going to pry it out carefully with a wrench. And I won’t use any sealer from your experience. Many thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The seal comes out rather easily with a pry bar or screwdriver. The bearing on the other hand is pressed in tightly. I used a bearing and seal driver set to install both the bearing and seal.
The bearing removal tool was a slide hammer style.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah I see, perfect . I understand your info now. My bearing is good. Last question, if one does have to remove the bearing, I guess this is where you have to remove the plate cover now to get at the bearing., correct.

Also if this is the case, did you use now rtv sealant behind the place for a tight seal to differential?
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts