S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT: 88 s10 pickup
PLAN: body chop, top chop, suicide doors, frame (chassis) shorten(smaller wheelbase), 305 v8, shortened bed
WHEN: starting soon

no budget for bags, or extensive drop, just extensive fabrication and design. Looking for a "one of a kind" ride.

CONCERNS: cutting windshield down for chop, keeping most of engine under hood while truck body goes lower, time, money, actual interest to complete

·
Give me 3 yrs...
6,526 Posts
ahh uve got no money for bags? but uve got cash for a v8 and a frame shorten, ur crazy bro

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jolly, no offense but, I got the v8 from a previous trade. I do the fab work myself, so no cash needed there.

I'll be honest. I don't know anything about bags really. How much do they run? Does anyone sell used and if so, are they worth it?

·
VVVthat thing is deadVVV
4,185 Posts
sounds like a sic little deal. sorry i couldnt take that dash off your hands

·
Deadlines are Overrated
3,025 Posts
robertsonsgarage said:
I'll be honest. I don't know anything about bags really. How much do they run? Does anyone sell used and if so, are they worth it?
i wouldn't buy any bag parts used. where can you buy all your bag stuff and you can ask any stupid question you want?........Suicidedoors.com.

i got one question for ya though.....why would you shorten the wheel base? it's a MINI-truck....why make it smaller? choppin the top, i understand. sectioning the body, i understand(even though i don't think it would look good, just my opinion). what would shortening the wheel base do for ya?
i'm not tryin to deter you from doin it, i just don't understand why you would want to. just to be different?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
smaller wheel base? sounds like u want a geo tracker not an s10

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
smaller wheel base? sounds like u want a geo tracker not an s10, like the v8 n chop top, but have fun with the rest. where the heck u gunna mount the rear axle any way? how much shorter u going?, if ne thing go longer or even add another axle :)i would if it wouldnt cost a fortune

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked at a lot of street rod trucks. They mostly have a shorter wheelbase and smaller cab. I like the look. I have nothing against stock mini trucks, but I'd like something completely different.

I'm shortening the wheel base by chopping a section out of the frame and using a shorter driveshaft.

As the work continues, some ideas will change due to cost, time, and resources. I'm probably going to eliminate the body chop. As far as narrowing the body and bed, that will allow me to make some "little" fender extensions for the truck. I like that look.

As far as my motivation or ideas, this is how I see it.
I look at all the trucks on here and see that everyone wants something different.
We're all starting with s10s. We all know what aftermarket parts are available. We've seen the "shaves" on the doors, bumpers, tailgates, etc.. I enjoy seeing the cadillac tail lights and other bodywork mods. I, like you guys, want a "one off" ride. I don't know how it will turn out. It might turn out to be the ugliest thing out there, or it may be the wildest ride ever. Either way, I'm rolling the dice and taking a chance. it will be a "one of a kind" and I would have done all the work myself. I don't mind your questions, opinions, or inputs. That's what posting your project on here is all about.
Any further questions, just ask. I'll keep posting progress and pics.
Tom

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
Sounds like a pretty cool concept. Kinda like the "sleds" of the 50's and 60's. Chopped, channeled, shaved, and slammed. I like it :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
here's some update pics. The v8 is in! (Self made mounts)

here's a pic of the shortened frame with the new shorter driveshaft installed (the longer stock one is on the ground)

sideview of the shortened chassis with fenders sitting on it overall I believe it was shortened 18"

I started cutting an old section of the frame out and installing the new section

Next, I'll finish "blending" in the new rail sections to the old frame rails. Then, I'll have to set the cab on the chassis and determine how much to narrow it and chop it. Any ideas?
more pics and progress to come!

·
DTC built
1,300 Posts
are you shortening the bed or cab? or both? And, after looking at the shortened chassis you should just lower it some and keep the rake. If you want the wheels to stick out with out narrowning the body then get a 4wd axle. I think they are 4" wider than the 2wd. This looks really cool so far. I would definitely box the frame where you cut it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the posts! Many things have changed since the initial idea of this build due to cost, fit, and proportion. Yes, the bed will be shortened. It is going to be sooooo stubby. I have to wait and see what the cab looks like when set down on the shortened chassis. If it needs shortened to look right, then, buzz, grind, sparks, it gets shortened.

And yes, where the old frame rails meet the new, the frame will be boxed. What's left of the truck is so light compared to the original due to cutting and removing.

I have removed one full coil from the front springs and one leaf from the rear. I'm not worried about the ride due to the lighter weight.

My biggest concern right now about narrowing the cab is the windshield. You cannot get curved windshield glass made to your specs. Getting the stock glass cut shorter is a possibility but only with several windshields on hand, due to the high probability of them cracking while working on them. The bigger windshield concern is that narrowing the cab will make the curve different from stock too. I have an idea though and it goes right along with the "hot rod" look for the windshield. I think I'll use another cab's rear window frame as a pattern for the windshield. It's flat, smaller, and comes with window frame intact. Getting a flat piece of laminated glass for the windshield is much easier than cutting an existing windshield.

I will post some engine mount pics as soon as I get some good ones. I took some with the engine in, but you can't see my fab work very good. Basically, I left the stock mounts on the engine, attached the rubber base mounts to them, and fabbed some plates that welded directly to the crossmember where the stock 4.3 mounts went. After cutting out the old 4.3 mounts of course.

Off to work again. New names for the truck when it's done. S-5?, Brutal?, I guess as it gets more complete I'll come up with one.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I love the ideas. I'm into hot rod model As and plan to build a hot rod or kustom soon. Have you thought about cutting the a pillars. Laying the winshield back at a further angle. This will bring the top down and keep the stock windshield

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BlackLS1,
I considered that and saw that kind of "chop" on another post. I personally don't like the idea. The windshield looks a little too big and really cuts into the size of the roof. Besides, I'm narrowing the cab also.
Currently, I'm going to shorten the cab, narrow it, move the cowl back and make it larger. This will allow me to make the windshield flat. It sounds confusing but I'll post pics to show what I'm doing.
Thanks for all the suggestion guys,
Tom

1 - 20 of 41 Posts