S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to get the dash gauge to work again and i need a new sending unit, but holy crap...60 bucks?!

Does anyone know if a more modern sensor will work instead? I found some NOS Napa sensor units at an old junk yard with the same 3 prong configuration and 1/8 npt nipple, Napa part# OP6625 and OP6626.

Also, I have this issue

Loose wire is tan or light brown. Where is it supposed to go?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It goes into the same wire loom as the oil pressure switch and sending unit wires. I found a diagram and it shows a tan wire coming from the oil sensor, however neither plug has a broken or missing wire.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,312 Posts
I can look at mine if I can remember to do that.

·
3,312 Posts
Oh and did you check rock auto?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd appreciate you taking a look at yours when you get the chance, thanks!😁

Yes, rockauto has them...40 - 60 bucks tho😲 I'm going to try a junkyard part first.

·
3,312 Posts
Sure thing. Also, you may want to check out a profile deathphoenix99 . He has wiring diagram link in his signature that has a TON of stuff on it. Hard comprehending that Rock Auto is that high. They are usually the lowest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I found the oil pressure sender that came out of this truck (it was in the bed with along with other junk, lol ) and bench tested it. The ohmmeter moved when I applied air pressure to the oil orifice so I reinstalled it. The gauge doesn't peg out at 80psi anymore but it twitched above zero for a second.

So I'm thinking this lose tan wire is the problem.

Jimmykicker, did you get a chance to look at yours?

I tried grounding it to the body, as I had it touching ground when the gauge twitched, however with a good ground connection the gauge still doesn't work. The wiring diagrams say a tan wire goes to the instrument cluster (pin 2) but I still can't find the other end of this wire.

I have a mechanical gauge installed under the hood, so I know I've got good oil pressure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts