S-10 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 88 2.5 5 speed and I am going to change the oil next week. I have heard of people using pf52 filters instead of the normal pf47 to give them more oil capacity. Is this a good idea or not, are there benefits or risks? Btw I am using castrol gtx high milage 10w-30. Thanks

·
twatter
1,465 Posts
Would'nt hurt it, alot of people do the same thing with the newer chevrolets just cuz they have a tiny ass filter. don't think there's any benefits by doing this other then filtering more oil

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more thing I have heard that putting a small magnet in the oil filter helps it filter out any metal particles in the oil. Has anyone ever tried this?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The magnet thing does work, I have seen them on the inside of oil pans or magnetized drain plugs and they work fairly well. You would need a really good magnet for it to work through the filter but it shouldnt be more than $3 for a good neodymium magnet.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Check for any clearance issues. I have heard that on some engines when the engine rocks it can punch the filter. In the case of the magnets get an old harddrive and remove the magnet. They are very strong. Just stick it on the outside of the filter.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow great minds must think alike. I actually work in computer repair and have used those magnets for many things in the past. Last night I stuck one on the outside of the filter I wasn't sure if it would be powerful enough to work from the out side or if it would magnetize the entire filter but I figured it couldn't hurt. Do you think sticking them all over the filter would be better or would the magnets cancel each other out. Thanks, Jonathan

·
Dimes+Smallies
257 Posts
Why not just get a Purolator PureOne oil filter that filters out 99.9% of everything (up to 13 grams of crud including metallic fines), or your own personal favorite brand, and a magnetized oil pan drain plug. You don't need computer magnets stuck on filters or anything else to do what these two parts accomplish. Besides, if your engine is producing that much metallic particles, then you have major problems anyway. BB02

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Get a magnetic drain plug, the steel in the filter will disrupt the magnetic field and wont work well if at all...

·
Registered
5 Posts
It won't hurt the engine, but the question should be "Will it HELP my engine?" If that engine has alot of miles, the answer is "No!"
Reason? Because "high performance" oil filters trap smaller particles of junk in the oil. Older engines HAVE more junk circulating in the oil, so they clog high performance filters much sooner than standard filters. When that happens, the oil goes through the "oil by-pass" valve on the oil pump, and circulates without being filtered at all. Save some money, AND some costly repair. Use the OEM standard filter designed for your car. Motorcraft filters are made specifically FOR Ford vehicles, are less expensive than performance filters, but more expensive than bargain filters, and work better than both. Just use higher quality oil, and change it more frequently, say maybe 2500-3500 miles, or 90 days, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
alex made a good statement about the factory parts being better. definitely side with him on that one. and gm actually reccomends mobil oil in their vehicles. Mobil clean 5000 5w30 (not 10w30) for the iron duke, thicker isnt always better. you could end up doing damage by putting in thicker oil. plus it just gives you worse mpg. i would just put a 47 on there. unless you plan on trying to maintain a truck until 600 thousand miles i dont see a point with the pf52. synthetics dont make a motor puke either. they just expose the leaks that were sealed by sludge. my fiero has 100k on the motor. running on mobil 1 fully synthetic,it used to be on valvoline conventional, no oil leaks in 30k miles. i used to get 25 mpg on the interstate with the thing if i was lucky. now i get consistent 32 running 5w30 mobil1.
good question though about the 47 and the 52... its going to be interesting to see where some of this goes
ps: the E on the filter is just the way the casing is made. has nothing to do with capacity or filter efficiency

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
I run a PF52 on my 97 Venture instead of the PF47...... Like it alot....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use the AC Delco PF52 oil filter. I'm not a physics major, but the larger oil filter should translate to more filter area to absorb contaminants, slightly increased oil capacity, and less restricted filtration. I think the cost is almost exactly the same as the smaller filter, and even if the advantages are only a little better, why not do it? I don't see why anyone WOULDN'T use the PF52.

·
Comitted Suicide
1,075 Posts
because we didn't engineer the engine OR the oil filter so i use what they tell me too

·
Registered
67 Posts
because we didn't engineer the engine OR the oil filter so i use what they tell me too
Hey, if that is how you feel about it then that is fine. Have you ever modified anything on a vehicle to increase the efficiency or power or are you against modding because stock is best? IMO this is an extremely easy to do efficiency mod.

·
Registered
804 Posts
If a larger oil filter has all the right stuff in it, and will physically fit why would you not use it. Larger filtration capacity and less restriction is a good thing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In relation to this topic, I am about to change my oil in the next 500 miles and it is getting cold outside. I am going to use Castrol Edge for the first time because it is on sale. I think that I have been using 10w30 but because it is winter, should I use 5w30? Maybe the difference is not as much with a full synthetic oil.

·
Dimes+Smallies
257 Posts
I use year-around what's listed on the oil filler cap, which is 5W-30. BB02

1 - 18 of 18 Posts