S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 562 Posts

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my fifth V8 S10 swap. Started with my dad showing me how to build a small block when I was 14. Wound up with 425 hp, so he sold it becuase there was no way that was going to be my first vehicle. I had an '85 ext cab with a '72 LT-1 and a Corvette 700R4 for six years that was my daily driver. I'll post some pics later of the aforementioned but here's where I'm at so far:

'97 Camaro SS LT1
'99 Firebird WS6 4L60E
'87 S10 regular cab short bed

$1000 spent so far. I rebuilt the bottom end of the LT1 (due to #4 rod knock).

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sweet, but where's the T56? Just kidding:D

That should make a nice economical driver... if you can keep your foot out of it, lol.

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks! Looking forward to getting input along the way. The T56 was sold 2 days before I came across the motor. He sold it for $400 complete, slave cylinder to flywheel. :(
Picked up the trans, shifter and converter for $100 off a guy who did a T56 swap in his WS6, so I'm not too distraught. 30 mpg highway is a goal..... My bike has 1 rwhp for every 5 lbs. If my figures are correct this truck will have about 1 rwhp per 6.45 lbs. It should be pretty fun when it's done. This is a side project, so progress will be slow for a while.

·
mr. clean
241 Posts
this is gonna be a sweet build. post up some pics of the progress!!!

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Did a little clean up on the taillights, used some rubbing compound on the paint for giggles, removed the moldy "CHEVROLET" strip on the tailgate and threw away the 3 piece grill and old steering wheel. Worked on the LT1 for a bit as well. Decided to go with a Blazer bumper for the rear. Going to pick up that and the front bumper cap, air dam and fog lights next junk yard visit. Saw a set of 2004 Sunfire bucket seats I might nab as well.... So many parts, so little funds...:( Still debating on using a 4.3 air box or utilizing the Z28SS cold air box. If I got a cowl hood I could make it functional, but I'm partial to a stock "sleeper" look.

Attachments

·
Square Body Owner
680 Posts
damn where do you live a t56 complete for 400 is a steal, sounds like a nice build up so far

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here was what the LT1 looked like when I first picked it up.

Attachments

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spent a while in the cab of the pick up. I removed the gauge cluster and the housing. I'm going to replace the cracked dash as soon as I find a decent donor. I have an extra cluster from my 2001 Sierrra from when I purchased a Denali one years ago. I'm planning on using this cluster (it plugs right into the Camaro's wiring harness), but there is no room for the stock placement of the a/c and headlight controls. I'm toying with the idea of relocating both of them sideways under the ash tray. There kind of inconspicuous down there so I'm really leaning towards it. Another option is to go with the pre '86 pull knob and a/c control, but I don't want to spend any money I don't have to with my measly budget for this project. At the same time I don't want it to look slapped together......**Sigh**

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't know if I'm going to try to use the stock S10 gauge housing, I don't think I can with the pin connector located where it's at. Time for some cardboard creativity. I figure I'll make a template, then make a housing out of aluminum. I'll use some foam or batting over the aluminum, then cover it with gray vinyl.

The gauge pod will set in a little deeper and I'm going to make the headlight and A/C controls mate up for a semi-seamless, more finished look. I don't know if I want to cut the headlight switch down or leave it and install the factory fog lamp switch. Oh well, gives me plenty to do while waiting for the next payday.

Attachments

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never have been a fan of the chrome on the tail lights. I removed the aluminum bezel and washed off the years of oak pollen buildup. I might paint the rib outlines black, or get out the dremel and sand the divider smooth and lightly smoke the lens.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
It might look good sanded smooth, if it doesn't turn out well, the lights with the black trim are easy to find.

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Arrrggh! I hate not having any money in my project fund. (Especially when I know there is plenty in savings.) I found out the local junkyard raised prices this month on a few items. Everything I wanted to pick up in the next month each went up $10. Guess I'll give the other u-pull-it a shot since they are having a 50% off sale Sat, Sun and Mon.

I found a complete '92 Sonoma GT interior for $500.00 and the complete body kit for the same price. Oh well, my 2001 Sierra with a Denali front clip will have to do... Back to the S10 SS theme. (Everyone thought I had a 1993 S10 SS when I finished my '85, heheh.)

Going to prioritize and make a set schedule to follow so I can quit coming across these deals I can't afford at the moment. 1st order of business - remove front clip, cab and bed to sand and paint the frame. I'm very surprised how little rust there is on it from the cab back. Then, when it's all painted, I'll get the mounts and drop the motor and tranny in. All this interior and body stuff can wait.

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One of the local yards had a 50% off sale. Picked up a cowl cover, fender flares, seat belts, and some misc. interior panels. Found a replacement driver door I'll go back and pick up. Going to try to pick up an air dam and ring and pinion tomorrow. Maybe some newer buckets and the Blazer bumper later in the week. My brother is going to help me Thursday so hopefully I can start on the frame so I can get the motor and trans. out of the garage.

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since I never had a problem towing a trailer with the '85 S10's 7.5" rear end, I think I'll be alright without an 8.5" rear end. The '85's stock 7.5" 3.08 went out after 210K miles, chewing up the spider gears, and that was 80K of V8 torque and towing. (I guess dropping into 2nd and passing cars with the trailer had a little to do with it.) I went with a 3.73 28 spline 7.625" posi that was going strong on it's fourth year of service (~ 90K miles) when I sold it in 2001.

I'm going to get a 7.625" disc rear off of a '00+ Blazer soon to replace the 7.5" 26 spline rear that's in the truck currently. Pics to come soon... Hopefully I'll be making some headway by the end of this month.

I may post up in the members projects section when I get going........

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My brother came over yesterday, got the truck moved to the backyard. Worked on the rust spot on the roof.. took it down to bare metal, heated with a torch, treated with ospho, then primered. Took the bed off. Frame was rather clean, just a bit of surface rust. Going to knock down the rust under the bed, treat with ospho, then paint with roll on bedliner.

Anyone know what size gas tank this is???

Attachments

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Scored some rear fender flares (found out the Blazers are different), air dam with fog lamps, and a 3.42 posi carrier. Found a 1st gen Bravada with leather seats.... might get them in a couple. Also saw a '93 with a decent bed liner, might be worth the $30 they're asking.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Thats a 13.5 gal tank or 13 cant remember for sure, thats what mine has in it.

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm, bummer. My '85 had a 20 gallon tank. I don't know if I want to keep this one or swap out a bigger one. I know it's less weight, but it really doesn't matter with the obscene drivetrain I'm dropping in this thing. Thanks for the input.

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New face. Picked up the foglights and air dam for $15 off of a '94 Blazer. Figure I'll do some frame painting and minor body work these next two weeks while I wait for the big overtime checks to come in. Then the fun begins....:D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 562 Posts