S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 87 blazer i found that it is impossible to try and time the motor. does anyone know an easy way to time the motor. and also for the fuel filter behind the power steering. can u just take the power steering off? and my oil pressure is bad and then sometimes good? i got some issues here. thanks for the feed back.

·
Registered
619 Posts
oil pressure...... new sending unit
timing....... 87=tbi right?
read the instructions on core support..... you have to unplug the EST wire in the harness on the passenger side floor... otherwise the computer sits there and adjusts timing while you adjust timing......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeh i have tbi on mine and i have disconnected the wire from the harness its just that i can't get the wrench behind the distributor. it is so cramped even with the air cleaner off. just wondering what else i should take off and possibly what size distributor wrench. thanks for feed back.

·
Registered
619 Posts
ever hear of crows feet....... basically a wrench head that has a square hole where the handle would start on a regular open end wrench? you put it on the end of a rachet extension... they work great for that.... dont knwo the size of the dist. wrench.... sears might let you take a tool outside to size it up... the crows feet works for tons of things though

its not recommended but i tighten my distrubuters down to the point they wont move on their own but yet i can still turn them with a FIRM grip with my whole hand.... just easier to pull the cleaner and grab it w/o a wrench

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's a 15mm wrench/socket you'll need.

Wanna make timing easier? Do a 3" body lift (yeah, for no other reason than doing timing! hehehe) - lots of room to do it now.

One thing to remember is that unless you've pulled the distributor, or the engine has heaps of miles on it (to make things wear out) - your timing won't really change like back in the 'points' days.

·
Registered
619 Posts
a body lift isn't really going to make access to the hold down any easier.... its only obstructed by the distributer itself..... however w/ a body lift bell houseing bolts are 100% easier

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright i will try the crows feet and see if that works. i never thought of that maybe a u-joint connected to that would work good in my case also. well thanks for the feed back

·
Registered
517 Posts
meeh350 said:
a body lift isn't really going to make access to the hold down any easier....
I was half being funny - but...

It does make it easier though! I've had my truck for about 14 years now, and I've had it both lifted and not. You just reach right above the r/h manifold (between the head and the firewall) and you've got all the room in the world to swing a wrench.

If it wasn't lifted, the wrench would be hitting the firewall.

·
Registered
619 Posts
yeah, i guess i could see how the body lift would help there.....

the swivel on the socket wont help you if i remember correctly... it the swivel hits the distributer still... i think i did manage to lossen mine that way once but it could round off easier because i wasn't set on the bolt head right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts