S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I bought a buggy a few days ago and it has a 2.8l multi port fuel injection engine in it. I want to get away from the computerized fuel injection and go to carburetor but I can’t seem to find a carbureted intake. I found some that would work up to a 85 model but none after. Does anyone know of an I take that will work?

·
Registered
833 Posts
As far as I know there were only two manufacturers of manifolds, Edelbrock and Offenhauser. I had the Offy / 390 Holley carb and liked it, sold it to someone on this forum. Don't know why it shouldn't work with new model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s what I was worried about. I didn’t want to spend 500$ on the manifolds and it not work.

·
Registered
833 Posts
That’s what I was worried about. I didn’t want to spend 500$ on the manifolds and it not work.
I'm sure there are people on here that have used them on models newer than 85, why wouldn't it work? PS: that should had read Edelbrock and Offenhauser intakes.

·
Boozebag
9,265 Posts
The most common combination is the Edelbrock/Holley 390 CFM 4 barrel for the 2.8 / 3.1 / 3.4.
This intake will fit all of the 60* V6s with iron heads - doesn't matter what year the engine is.
I suggest that you shop on Ebay for a used intake, they usually go for around $200 to $250. They aren't as common as they used to be, if you are patient, one will come up.
I have bought 6 of them on ebay over time.
A Holley 390 is almost $500 if you buy one new.
If you but everything new, it will cost you a cool $1,000 or so....
Also, remember - you will need to use an early distributor too - one that is not computer controlled.
Another point, you will need to reduce the fuel pressure from the FI pump, or run a low pressure pump and disconnect the FI pump.

I have done this swap several times. It's not just a "bolt on" and go

If you do go for this conversion, post here. There are lots of forum members that can help you.

Oh, and the reason that the intake is listed to work on engines up to 1985 is for the reasons I listed ^^^
The intake companies did not certify them for use on fuel injected engines for multiple reasons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts