S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 S15 excab Sierra Classic, and my top driver door hinge is ****ed. Both holes have wallowed through and blown out, and the door tries to fall off every time you open it.

Does anyone make hinges for the 1st gen, or should I just plan to get them welded up and re-drilled?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have an 86 S15 excab Sierra Classic, and my top driver door hinge is ****ed. Both holes have wallowed through and blown out, and the door tries to fall off every time you open it.

Does anyone make hinges for the 1st gen, or should I just plan to get them welded up and re-drilled?
Sounds like it's beyond using JB weld to fill the gap around the bushing.
Dormant sells S10 replacement hinges for around $70. It's easier & cheaper to weld & drill the holes than remove & weld on a new hinge. There are a few videos of guys replacing S10 & other Chevy truck hinges on YouTube.
-Buy the $9 hinge spring compressor if you're going to work on it yourself. Money well spent.

·
Been there Done it
14,403 Posts
Trick if you weld them closed and redrill is getting the new hole in exactly the right place. I've actually had good luck with putting the new bushings in and packing the area that got wallowed out with JBWeld. You are simply supporting the bushing in it's correct location and hardened epoxy isn't going to wear4 because nothing in contact with it is moving. Then oil em once a month. If that had been done from day one of the trucks life they'd still be fine.
Try and find better quality bushing than Dorman. Actually I should find another way to word that. Because you will never see the word quality and Dorman in the same sentence anywhere else. They think QC in manufacturing lingo means Quick Crap.

Reactions: S15E83

·
Registered
43 Posts
Trick if you weld them closed and redrill is getting the new hole in exactly the right place. I've actually had good luck with putting the new bushings in and packing the area that got wallowed out with JBWeld. You are simply supporting the bushing in it's correct location and hardened epoxy isn't going to wear4 because nothing in contact with it is moving. Then oil em once a month. If that had been done from day one of the trucks life they'd still be fine.
Try and find better quality bushing than Dorman. Actually I should find another way to word that. Because you will never see the word quality and Dorman in the same sentence anywhere else. They think QC in manufacturing lingo means Quick Crap.
Yeah, the Dormant bushings are made out of some kind of cheap cast brass pot metal. They'll split when being installed. Forged or billet would be better. Anyone know who makes & sells better for hinge bushings?
The original Chevy bushings fail over time at a high enough rate to suggest the hinge design itself leads to early failure. My passenger door is rarely used, and while the bushings are not worn out they have lifted out of the holes and would have failed had the door been used more.
Replacing worn out or damaged door seals is important because the seal helps align & support the door when it's closed.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
32,546 Posts
I must have gotten the Cadillac of bushings from the factory. 26 years and they show no signs of failure. Maybe it’s a maintenance thing…

·
Registered
43 Posts
I regul
I must have gotten the Cadillac of bushings from the factory. 26 years and they show no signs of failure. Maybe it’s a maintenance thing…
I've regularly lubed mine for 36 years. When I replaced the hogged out originals on the driver side, they were easy to break apart. I cracked a new Dorman brand bushing during installation, even though I carefully pressed them in.

This company makes heavy duty replacement pins & bushings for the 1st gen S10. For only $127.99. 😧

·
Registered
134 Posts
22 years ago, I had a body shop repair the drivers hinge on my 442. It was still never right compared to passengers. Last month I finally got off my *** and pulled the door to remove the pins; they’d installed oversize bushings but not pins. Sigh.

The door closes great now, with dorman pins and bushings. I don’t now how they’ll last, but I’m a believer that I could make cold spaghetti last as long as the prep work is done right. I didn’t need to drill and weld, but I did on several parts of a tractor restoration a few years ago. Not a big deal as long as one can measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
this guy sells the best door pins i have ever seen. i have two sets in usage o my own vehciles. I dont know him, nor get royalties from him, just passing along the info for yu to make your own choices.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Dorman bushings are made from oillight this is a bronze porous metal that has oil in it. I made some from brass and put threads on the bottom to put a nut on to keep them from falling out. Usually the hole wears toward the out side. Get some hardened washers that the bushing fits in. Make sure to put the washer on the inside of the hinge not on the side the door hinge rides on. Hold the bushing and the washer against what is left of the original hole. Tack the washer in place. Remove the bushing and weld the washer on. I have done this on a few S10's. This is almost as good as a new hinge. Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts