S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an 86 S10 with a 69 350 corvette engine, supposedly makes about 300 hp, and its buckled to a 350 turbo hydromatic tranny. The problem is at around 60 mph it runs approx 2800 to 3000 rpm. This would be awesome at the track but I want to drive mine on the street too. The 350TH seems to need another gear. I want to swap the 350TH for a 700R4. I know I need to get one out of another 350 V8, but a friend told me that all 700R4s had to have a computer or ECM to make them shift properly. Is this true? If so, do they make some kind of adapter or module because there are no more computer parts in my 86.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
get a 700 made after 1988 because the output shaft(?) is beefier. The only control you should need is for the lockup converter and there are kits for that. Also need bracket for TV cable.

·
Registered
726 Posts
go to www.700R4.com for your lockup kit
thats where I got mine and I am using a 700R4 in my 96 SFI 4.3 that originally had a 5 spd behind it
although mine is a manual valve body setup so I cant help you with the TV cable bracket cause I dont need one
Bowtieoverdrives (700r4.com) is a good company and they have real people who work on this stuff for tech support even if you have dumb questions like I had
another options is to get a gear vendors overdrive unit
it attaches to the rear of your existing tranny and basically gives you an additional 3 gears
it works like this
you have 1st, then 1st OD, 2nd, then 2nd OD, and then 3rd and 3rd OD
but it is a pricey unit and you will need a new driveshaft as well but it is a very nice setup and creates a whole new world of possibilities
300hp is not alot so a 700 should hold up well as long as its built well
but if you plan on building the engine up or replacing it with another more powerful engine then you might wanna look into the gear vendors setup because the th350 (or th400 if your building that much power) can be built for more power and you will still have the OD

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Hey thanks for posting that 700r4.com address..Those guys
are just above me in the high desert, bout 30 minutes away.

I may hit them up for some special lines I need for a remote
filter and cooler I'm putting on my ride..Looks like they have half
of what I need..

·
FWD's suck
1,745 Posts
what gears do you have in the rearend? if you wanted it to tach lower and not have to replace the tranny you could change the gears in the rearend with 3.08's or something.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you wanted it to tach lower and not have to replace the tranny you could change the gears in the rearend with 3.08's or something.
Thats exactly what I am going to do, just decided to do that today. Just bought a 3.08 at my local JunkYard. Wow Great Minds Think Alike!!!:jester:

Thanks Guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts