S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Got a couple of questions
1. What's the best, inexpensive factory rearend that would drop in? The engine has about 375 hp, and 450ft lbs. I was thinking a Strange unit, not too bad at $2500 but this is a winter project, and trying to keep costs down. And I dont have the place right now, to fab anything in to work.

2. I ripped out the factory gauge cluster, built my own dash inlay out of sheet aluminum, and aftermarket gauges. BUT now I need a GOOD, READABLE wiring diagram to make it work seamlessly

Thanks, and stay safe

·
Administrator
23,072 Posts
Usually 2wd 4.3 trucks with a manual trans. They also came on some 4x4 Blazers, but will need to be narrowed...same with the ZR2's

·
Been there Done it
8,188 Posts
Or the venerable Explorer 8.8. Most of those were 3.73 LSD.
You can shorten one side or not depending on your choice of wheels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice rear end. Ha, lol
Any pics of your gauge pack?

So it kinda sounds like my options are fairly limited for decent, factory rearends?...

What about a good quality wiring diagrams?

·
Registered
212 Posts
At 375 HP your at the upper limit of the 7.5 (7.625) rear end and if your not constantly beating on it or racing, you should be ok. I just wouldn't want to throw good money at one when it could be better spent. I have a vid of the led's lights put in that shows the dash although the column cover isn't on. As you can see I'm set up for racing and although I had a kit for wiring it's all custom I don't think you want to go that route.

IMG_5542.JPG

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
FLORIDA BUTCH
15 Posts
If you don't want to rip out the old rear, just put a Detroit Locker in the 7.5. They are bullet proof. I put a 69 Chevy 10 bolt reared, in my 88 S10. It is 56" wide, inside to inside. I had to backspace my rims 6". Finding an 8.5 that is small enough is going to be hard. I had one that came out of a Camaro.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts