S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BOOBIES
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an old camaro sitting out back that had a 5.0 305 5 speed manual in it and i wondering if the tranny would bolt up to my 98 4.3 automatic and what would i have to do to get it to work properly???

thanks

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,047 Posts
yeah, It will bolt up. But it wont wire up... Its not bolt on and go

Driveshaft is different as well

·
BOOBIES
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how about a 94 s10 tranny?. they dident change to much around did they?

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
the 98 trans wont run without the engine being run by the PCM youre gonna have to either swap to a non electronic controll ed transmission or youre gonna have to convert the old style engine to the same style injection as what was originally in the truck and use a v8/4L60E ECM to run it

its gonna be real fun eoither way

hope you got lots of cash and a knowledgeable person about later GM electrical and controls systems around to use

youre gonna need it

that trans has to have the engine and ecm and engine sensors in order to shift and run

·
Pill it till ya kill it
459 Posts
the 98 trans wont run without the engine being run by the PCM youre gonna have to either swap to a non electronic controll ed transmission or youre gonna have to convert the old style engine to the same style injection as what was originally in the truck and use a v8/4L60E ECM to run it

its gonna be real fun eoither way

hope you got lots of cash and a knowledgeable person about later GM electrical and controls systems around to use

youre gonna need it

that trans has to have the engine and ecm and engine sensors in order to shift and run
I think you may have read the post wrong. He is putting the manual into the S10.

It can be done but as stated above it will take a few things. Driveshaft will be different, you will need to swap in the pedal assembly including switches and hydraulics into your truck and you will more than likely need to modify the crossmember. 4.3s never came with a T5 behind them in a S10. A 94 2.2 T5 crossmember may be close but dont quote me on that one. Only other thing you will need is to swap in the reluctor ring and speed sensor to the trans. 94s had the required parts but Im not sure if the speed sensor sends the same signal as the 94-95 trucks had a DRAC module to read and translate speed sensor signal to MPH and the 96 up trucks go through the PCM.

And as far as using the 94 S10 trans in your 98 It depends on what the 94 trans came out of be it a 4 cylinder or six cylinder.

·
BOOBIES
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm sounds like a it's a pain. Well if I came across a 98 or newer 4.3 tranny. Am I going to have to get a new computer or hav it programed to the gm s10 manual brain?

Don't rag on me to much I'm noob when it comes to trannys and shit like this.

·
Pill it till ya kill it
459 Posts
Hmmm sounds like a it's a pain. Well if I came across a 98 or newer 4.3 tranny. Am I going to have to get a new computer or hav it programed to the gm s10 manual brain?

Don't rag on me to much I'm noob when it comes to trannys and shit like this.
You would need the wiring harness and PCM. You could just put it together without them but it will have transmission codes as it wont see the auto trans in there.

·
BOOBIES
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You would need the wiring harness and PCM. You could just put it together without them but it will have transmission codes as it wont see the auto trans in there.
By is not seeing the codes ou you mean that if i put it in it will run but not see the tranny there and it will run? will that make it run like shit?

·
Pill it till ya kill it
459 Posts
It will run and it will run fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.