S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 2.8 GMC 4x4 (w/automatic) right now, getting about 18 mpg, and can't get over 110km/hr - really sucks.

So, I was going to do the 3.4 upgrade when I managed to get a donor 88 4x4. Deal is to strip it down and give back the frame and transfer case. So I'm tearing it down - everything goes.

Now to my question, wiring - I have the computer harness from under the heater and on out to the engine - Is that all I need - are there any special connections, wiring and such that I'll need to do? I believe someone has done this before...

Yes, I've searched the forums - would like the specifics from someone who has done this though.

Here's what I'm moving over...
- Rad
- a/c condenser (yeah - will hook it up eventually)
- engine (complete)
- computer (I don't need to change the eeprom do I?)
- exhause (complete - mine's shot)
btw - anyone have the O2 sensor going straight up underneath? that's no good since you have to undo the y-pipe to change it - stupid ass setup I think.

I'm taking pics as I go - if anyone's interested...

I also need to pull the passenger CV joint - does anyone have a step-by-step on this? Not done this before.

Has ANYONE tried to run the 4.3 with the 2.8 wiring harness? Just curious - in theory it should work...

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I would use the 4.3 wire harness. Just leave it all hooked to the motor. The pin outs may differ on the two. You should not have to do much extra. Its great to have a donor truck because you got it all to get what you need as you go. I had a 97 Donor Astro van for my 84 S10 swap. I made some stuff work in it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
When i did my swap i took alotta stuff
1.motor
2.trans
3.engine harness
4.radiator
5.motor mounts
6.exhaust
7.under dash harness
8.gauges

im sure there was alot more but i cant think of it right now. being that you have a 4x4 it ay be different for you but im not sure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far, I've pretty my much disconnected everything. Have stripped down the donor truck to metal. Takes time, but you learn as you go so the second (good) truck will go easier.

So far my biggest problems...
- lost patience and broke the a/c housing taking it off. The lower 2 bolts have some stupid-ass 2 way bolt on the very bottom. If anyone needs to take off the lower bolts, take off the heater housing inside first, then get hold of the bolts on the inside with vice grips
- remember to undo the O2 sensor before you pull the exhaust :)
- the engine mount bolts were fun. Ended up needing some help to hold them tight on the front while I undid from the back.
- The rear transmission housing bolts (6) were the worst. Found my 9/16 flex-sockets worked the best. However the middle ones were only accessible by wrench.

Thanks for the help so far. I've unhooked the wiring harness right to the driver side firewall - all complete. Should be interesting. Hope I get it all back together OK and the damn service engine light stays OFF. :)

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
You might want to look into any differences on the engine mounts between a 4.3 and a 2.8. On the 2Wd 4.3 there is a metal pad welded to the frame that relocates the rubber mount. The 2.8 did not have that so when I did mine I got some mounts from www.jagsthatrun.com that bolt to the engine and fit onto the 2.8 frame mounts. Just a heads up before you get to far and start a post with "WTF???".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts