S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 85 s10 4x4 with the 2.8 and for now I'm planning on putting in a 4.3 and I was wondering is there any year of the 4.3 I should avoid
And what year of the 4.3 makes the best hp

·
Been there Done it
7,590 Posts
Got a bit of a quandary. Newer the engine the more power ans smother running. Also the newer the engine the more difficult to swap into an 85. You will have to change both engine and transmission.
Easiest upgrade would like be a TBI 350. Same amount of work as a 4.3 and a bit more power.

·
Gun Totin Redneck
1,155 Posts
As i recall the 2.8 transmission will not bolt to the 4.3 meaning it will not bolt to a 350. My only real issue with the 350 swap is the conventional thought of moving the radiator and ac core forward.
Someone please correct me if wrong on the transmission fitment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I have a 85 s10 4x4 with the 2.8 and for now I'm planning on putting in a 4.3 and I was wondering is there any year of the 4.3 I should avoid
Got a bit of a quandary. Newer the engine the more power ans smother running. Also the newer the engine the more difficult to swap into an 85. You will have to change both engine and transmission.
Easiest upgrade would like be a TBI 350. Same amount of work as a 4.3 and a bit more power.
Right now I have a 4.3 that's in a 94 c1500 and also a vortec 5.7 that might need to be rebuilt If i plan to put the 350 I'd put a 1in body lift and a rc 2.5 lift kit so the front different isn't in the way

·
Been there Done it
7,590 Posts
The 4 cyl and the 2.8 use a different bolt pattern on the front of the transmission than the 4.3 and SBC use. I don't think the 2.5 lift kit will cure your oilpan issue completely. You'll need an S10 narrow deep sump 4.3 pan or make it into a 5.7 pan if you go that route. In which case you don't need the lift unless you want it for looks.On a pre 88 you'll need to relocate the steering column outboard a bit to clear the 90° engines because they are wider at that point. Not too difficult to do. The how to is in Mike Knell's old S10 swap book. It was written to swap old engines into old trucks.
I've had my copy over 20 years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As i recall the 2.8 transmission will not bolt to the 4.3 meaning it will not bolt to a 350. My only real issue with the 350 swap is the conventional thought of moving the radiator and ac core forward.
Someone please correct me if wrong on the transmission fitment.
Yeah I've been trying to find a 700r4 that came with a 4x4 4.3 and yeah I also don't really like having to do that if I go with a 350

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 4 cyl and the 2.8 use a different bolt pattern on the front of the transmission than the 4.3 and SBC use. I don't think the 2.5 lift kit will cure your oilpan issue completely. You'll need an S10 narrow deep sump 4.3 pan or make it into a 5.7 pan if you go that route. In which case you don't need the lift unless you want it for looks.On a pre 88 you'll need to relocate the steering column outboard a bit to clear the 90° engines because they are wider at that point. Not too difficult to do. The how to is in Mike Knell's old S10 swap book. It was written to swap old engines into old trucks.
I've had my copy over 20 years.
If I go with the 4.3 do you think the carb that came with the 2.8 will work with it and which swap do you think will cost more?

·
Been there Done it
7,590 Posts
If I go with the 4.3 do you think the carb that came with the 2.8 will work with it and which swap do you think will cost more?
I'll try to put this out here as gently as possible. Since you asked if a 2.8 carb will work on a 4.3 my first reaction is I don't think you have the experience needed to attempt an engine swap. There are a lot of parts that need to be changed and knowing what will work and what won't takes some knowledge of auto repair. For example there are at least a dozen variations of the 4.3 and most experienced people don't know all the configurations out there. All can be bolted into your truck. Some are nearly a bolt in. Others would require many modifications to your truck.
My first 2 engine swaps were failures because I was in over my head. Years later after working as a tech for a GM dealer it was a lot simpler and I've done numerous swaps. Some more successful than others. Drove a couple of them for many years w/o any major issues.

Not saying it is impossible, just highly unlikely you'll complete it. Paying someone to do it would cost more than it'd be worth. Actually most swaps cost more than they're worth even when they're done by the owner.
If you want a 4.3, look for an 88 or newer S10 that already has one and just maintaining it will teach you a lot because they always need something.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll try to put this out here as gently as possible. Since you asked if a 2.8 carb will work on a 4.3 my first reaction is I don't think you have the experience needed to attempt an engine swap. There are a lot of parts that need to be changed and knowing what will work and what won't takes some knowledge of auto repair. For example there are at least a dozen variations of the 4.3 and most experienced people don't know all the configurations out there. All can be bolted into your truck. Some are nearly a bolt in. Others would require many modifications to your truck.
My first 2 engine swaps were failures because I was in over my head. Years later after working as a tech for a GM dealer it was a lot simpler and I've done numerous swaps. Some more successful than others. Drove a couple of them for many years w/o any major issues.

Not saying it is impossible, just highly unlikely you'll complete it. Paying someone to do it would cost more than it'd be worth. Actually most swaps cost more than they're worth even when they're done by the owner.
If you want a 4.3, look for an 88 or newer S10 that already has one and just maintaining it will teach you a lot because they always need something.
Yes this Is my first time trying to do a engine swap but that doesn't mean that I won't have the experience to do it. So far I've done most of my research on the 350 swap but all I wanted to know was if I were to go with the 4.3, what year of the 4.3 would be good and what parts are interchangeable between the 2.8 and 4.3 just to make sure I wouldn't get rid of something that could have reused

·
Been there Done it
7,590 Posts
I honestly don't think there are any parts used on both engines. It also would be a good idea not to sell or throw away anything until it's completely done.
I'm sure if there are any common parts someone will pop in an correct me.

·
Engineer, Member SAE
54 Posts
..when attempting engine/trans swaps, be prepared to fabricate mounts.

Ahem...and have LOTS of spare tools to throw. And someone to go pick them up after youve thrown them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts