S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bash:
Hi forum people. I've got an old Blazer and would like to get a couple things working and give it to my son. Another persons swapped the engine and probable left a bolt of two out. He is long gone and cannot ask him.

Anyhow, it runs, drives etc, in 2WD but will not go into 4WD. The lever engages transfer case but not the front axel. I can see a cable going to the axel, but don't know where it comes from or what is supposed to move it.

So my question is probably pretty simple for you regulars and that is, "what is supposed to make it engage". There don't appear to be any other cables attached to the lever. Perhaps it is electrical and there is a solinoid somewhere?

Also, not that it makes any difference because it won't engage, but putting it into neutral or 4WD low is extremely hard. I found a grease fittin on the linkage and hopefully that will take care of it.

Any help appreciated.

Jay

·
Registered
498 Posts
Not sure on the 85 but look under the battery for a vacuum servo that has a cable running to the Xfer case. Might be a problem there or unhooked vacuum line to this.

·
Lunatic
257 Posts
on an '85 the vacuum servo is on the passenger fender, if it checks out (has vacuum line and is not stretched out or torn) then check the vacuum switch on the transfer case itself (it has 3 lines going into it), it's a $20 part you can get anywhere and it frequently sticks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Before you spend the money on parts try to clamp the vacuum actuator closed to see if it will work. Just get some type of clamp and clamp it to the acuator and it should engage. The line running from the actuator to the t-case is just a cable so no worry of leaks there.

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
Hey Jay, here's a link to a thread where someone posted a diagram for the activating system for the manual transfer cases. It looks like the diagram out of Chiltons. 2Xtreme's correct in that you should just try to pull the actuator cable and see if it engages the 4WD before you start buying various parts. Good luck!

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69026&highlight=transfer+case

1 - 5 of 5 Posts