S-10 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a 85 s10 2.8l carb. and i am goin to be changing out the gas tank on it. i have a lmc truck book and a 20gal. tank will be about 100 bucks before shipping. i also looked on jw and they have one for about 155 that is plastic. which one should i go with? also im wanting to put a electric fuel pump on it. what would i have to do to get that on there if it's even possible. also how hard is it to hook up a after market gas guage? also what all do i need to buy for this. like do i need to replace the tank straps? you know stuff like that. any help would be great. thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Uh I like plastic cuz the wont rust dent or corrode fuel gauges are easy you have one wire off the tank one off the fuse block and a ground on my 85 the wire off the tank was a light brown.

um next thing electric fuel pump

Do you wanna go in tank or in line I have a mister gasket in line in my 85 I put it about a foot from the tank in the line if you do that get a tube cutter for it and put a filter before the pump then run a hot off the fuse box then a ground.

In tank just get the whole sending unit that will fit like 86 and up then just wire in your gauge the same way and a hot to the pump and a ground.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,613 Posts
Is there something wrong with the factory gauge? You'll reuse the tank topper which contains the internal lines and sender. If your gauge is broken, I have one I can sell you cheap. It's a 5 minute fix. I use the Carter 4-6 PSI pump in on my 3.4. Works good. Says it doesn't require a regulator, but I'd use one anyway. It had higher pressure than 4lbs. I'd also use a high quality filter at the tank, and a G3 Fram at the motor, but then again, I have a Holley 4bbl on my 3.4, so if you are using the stock carb, the one inside the 2Se should suffice.

Let me dig up a pic of my installation.

·
3,613 Posts
Uh I like plastic cuz the wont rust dent or corrode fuel gauges are easy you have one wire off the tank one off the fuse block and a ground on my 85 the wire off the tank was a light brown.

um next thing electric fuel pump

Do you wanna go in tank or in line I have a mister gasket in line in my 85 I put it about a foot from the tank in the line if you do that get a tube cutter for it and put a filter before the pump then run a hot off the fuse box then a ground.

In tank just get the whole sending unit that will fit like 86 and up then just wire in your gauge the same way and a hot to the pump and a ground.
Agreed on most of this except do NOT run the pump wiring like that. You should wire the the pump with at least a relay, a good wiring kit, and if you're smart, install a fuel pump cutoff switch. If you have an accident, and the engine stalls, the oil pressure cuts off and the fuel doesn't continue to run. Another plus is that it takes the engine a couple of extra seconds to start...until the oil pressure comes up, which saves wear on your engine without a doubt. Driving it without a safety switch is a HUGE risk that isn't worth it. Running it without a relay is a fire risk!! A possible fire with a grounded out pump that won't quit pumping gas...even with the key off with sparks and heat from burning wires. Not a good thing. Jman, I wouldn't drive that truck another inch like that.

One other thing to note is that you will have to use a regulator if you use the stock electric pump because it will put out more than 4-6 pounds (probably somewhere around 50) which is way too much for either the factory or any aftermarket carb that I know of.

Here is a picture of my setup. The whole thing cost me about $100 to set up. The pump has gone up a little bit since this time, but still doable for about $125. It's not wired up in this pic, but you get the idea.

·
3,613 Posts
Here's another pic of it with it pretty much finished. Note the quick disconnect. That comes off a headlight harness on a mid 90s Caddy. I snip those off everytime I see them.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
K I agree on the relay I will be getting one at the time I didn't have the money and kinda slipped my mind but it doesn't keep pumping I once turn the key anyway I can't even put on a safety switch I'm running aftermarket mechanical gauge well was till the line came loose and touched the manifold so I can't really put one in

·
Registered
476 Posts
Kind of a related question, I just noticed this (see pic) under my truck last night...running along the drivers side frame. Is that an inline electric fuel pump? It has 1-2 wires going to it, as well as fuel lines. I bought the truck with the 3.4l swap already done, so I wasn't sure where the pump was.

What is the stock setup, an in-tank pump? I thought I had heard that the fuel pump was typically mounted on the engine somewhere, and that it was mechanical, is that true? I'm just kind of confused.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
thats not stock or atleast compared to my truck if its 85 or older it would have a mechanical pump 86 to newer is electric in tank i think

·
3,613 Posts
K I agree on the relay I will be getting one at the time I didn't have the money and kinda slipped my mind but it doesn't keep pumping I once turn the key anyway I can't even put on a safety switch I'm running aftermarket mechanical gauge well was till the line came loose and touched the manifold so I can't really put one in
Yeah, you really need that relay. The safety switch is easy to install. Buy a 1/4 NPT tee and install it where the sender is on the oil filter adapter. Put the sender on one side, and the safety switch on the other. Wire it in with the relay to the yellow wire (activator) and you're done. Easy as pie. This is the switch I used. Almost like stock on the later model trucks.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.+Gasket/720/7872/10002/-1

·
3,613 Posts
Kind of a related question, I just noticed this (see pic) under my truck last night...running along the drivers side frame. Is that an inline electric fuel pump? It has 1-2 wires going to it, as well as fuel lines. I bought the truck with the 3.4l swap already done, so I wasn't sure where the pump was.

What is the stock setup, an in-tank pump? I thought I had heard that the fuel pump was typically mounted on the engine somewhere, and that it was mechanical, is that true? I'm just kind of confused.

Your truck stock would have had one on the block of the engine..
3.4 requires an electrical pump because there is no place on the block for a mechanical one. It could be in the tank. They could be using a stock 86+ type unit with a regulator on it (in tank type), but I betcha it's inline on the outside.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Oh okay, so I guess they pulled the stock mechanical one and put that electric inline pump instead. Just wanted to double check.

Now the fuel filter, where is that? I found the tiny little one on the carb housing, but is there another one somewhere else on the vehicle?

·
3,613 Posts
If they were smart they put one before the electric pump. That's the way mine is set up. The hose loops back around. Space limitations caused me to have to run it that way.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Would the filter be in tank by chance? I didn't see one between the tank and pump, but I'll have to double check.

If there isn't one, what's a good inline fuel filter to put in there. What size (hoses) openings will the filter need to have?

·
3,613 Posts
It may not have one on it. Some people are just that damn cheap.

That one I got from Jegs...or summit. Can't remember. It's a decent unit..about $30 and filters down to 10 microns....which is good. Not sure on the hoses, as that will change with your application and adapters. just match the stuff up at the parts house or home depot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts