S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this S-10 and been having trouble for the last two weeks. It has the 2.8 V-6 engine with cal emissions. When pulling a grade, it has been stuttering and back firing, the tack goes crazy and then drops to 850 rpms and I crawl up the hill, still back firing and lurching. I've replaced the plugs and wires, rotor and cap, ignition module, and fuel filter, had it timed and no change. Any ideas?
I took it to a diagnostics center and they couldn't find the plug to check the ECM. Does anyone know where that plug is located?
Thank for any help,
Rodster

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Rodster said:
I just bought this S-10 and been having trouble for the last two weeks. It has the 2.8 V-6 engine with cal emissions. When pulling a grade, it has been stuttering and back firing, the tack goes crazy and then drops to 850 rpms and I crawl up the hill, still back firing and lurching. I've replaced the plugs and wires, rotor and cap, ignition module, and fuel filter, had it timed and no change. Any ideas?
I took it to a diagnostics center and they couldn't find the plug to check the ECM. Does anyone know where that plug is located?
Thank for any help,
Rodster
Well it shouldnt have a plug for the ecm. it shouldnt have an ecm. it should be plane old carbed. I would check into your fuel system and carb tho maybe its time to rebuild it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the guy was wrong about the ECM. I tried to tell him that this was a carb engine and he shut me off.
Anyway, I've got 139,436 miles on this engine and the diagnostic showed it runs strong, and it does as long as I'm not pulling a grade. I was thinking perhaps it could be the EGR? Any thought on this?
Leo

·
Registered
152 Posts
cali emisions should have had a computer

I remember seeing on another board that calif models had computers b/f EFI. Is there a "check engine soon" light when you first turn on he key? It sounds like the cat could be plugged up. Anytime it backfires /or spits back thru the intake, it's timimg or else the cat's plugging up making excess backpressure. EGR valves make trouble @ idle when they're supposed to be closed. It won't make a difference @ speed.:thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input wiz bang!
I've noticed that it runs better when it's cold than after it warms up. I have a 15 minute drive to work and it runs fine. Same coming home, 15 minutes and no problems. Went to the mall with it tonight, and right away it started acting up. Could be you're right about the cat. I will check it this weekend.
I want to transform this into a "Rodster" (hence my catchy alias), but I want it running right before I start cutting away the body. Have you any experience with that kit?
Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input wiz bang!
I've noticed that it runs better when it's cold than after it warms up. I have a 15 minute drive to work and it runs fine. Same coming home, 15 minutes and no problems. Went to the mall with it tonight, and right away it started acting up. Could be you're right about the cat. I will check it this weekend.
I want to transform this into a "Rodster" (hence my catchy alias), but I want it running right before I start cutting away the body. Have you any experience with that kit?
Thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
mine did the same thing...it might be your coolant temperature sensor...if its broke...when its cold it runs good cause the sensor reads the coolant temperature as cold...but when your coolant temperature warms up the sensor still reads it as cold...so it gives it more gas to heat up eventhough the coolant is hot...so it acts like a choke...i think it is $12 for the part and i bought mine at Discount and they had it in stock...might be worth a try

1 - 9 of 9 Posts