S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
i am looking at an 85 S-10 4x4 ext. cab that has a rebuilt 305 in it & I wanted to know what to look for & what to ask to make sure the conversion & rebuild was done right. I'm pretty sure it was a conversion because I don't think s-10's came with 305's new. (correct me if i'm wrong) If it is I'm not sure what motor it had in it before. Does anything have to be done to the transmission in order for it to be done right? It has a automatic transmission with a B&M auto shifter. As you can tell I am new to this. Thanks for your help. Josh

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ask for a copy of all the receipts. You'll need those anyway when you want to try to resell it. Not sure how you would check to see if its a V-8 tranny or a V-6, but you won't want a V-6 transmission, especially of you want to use it in the mud.

If they can't produce the receipts, I'd personally pass, if it's an absolute bargain you should have a trusted mechanic look at the engine to get good oil pressure and compression readings. Somebody impartial preferably. Your best 4-wheeling buddy probably isn't impartial enough to get a real good recommendation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't be using it to go 4-wheeling anytime soon. It would be used for a daily driver & to get me around when it snows here.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You could move to the always 45 degree but sunny southern part of the state! I'll even show you a few good trails.

·
Registered
400 Posts
jw_8890 said:
Hi all,
i am looking at an 85 S-10 4x4 ext. cab that has a rebuilt 305 in it & I wanted to know what to look for & what to ask to make sure the conversion & rebuild was done right. I'm pretty sure it was a conversion because I don't think s-10's came with 305's new. (correct me if i'm wrong) If it is I'm not sure what motor it had in it before. Does anything have to be done to the transmission in order for it to be done right? It has a automatic transmission with a B&M auto shifter. As you can tell I am new to this. Thanks for your help. Josh
Cool, someone else from Warsaw! I've seen that truck floating around for sale for quite awhile now. It sat at a car lot in Silver Lake for awhile, thats where I first seen it. My little brother stoped to look at it once. Even if it does have a 700r4 trans from a v6 it should hold up for awhile considering that a stockish 305 doesn't have a whole lot more power than a 4.3.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts