S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently i picked up a 85 2.8l carbed s10 4wd 5spd about 5-6 months ago and just blew it up..ive been researching sas and think im ready to do this..i got lots of fabricating skills up my sleeve....so i locally just found the guts out of a K5 blazer...front and rear diff 350 motor and auto tranni and transfer case...but i want to keep the 5 spd tranni...it should bolt up right...so today i pushed the truck into the drive way and started to tare out the motor and tranni...thought you guys would be intrested in watching...after i get my motor and tranni in the sas will begin...progress may be slow at first its still winter here...

·
**** New Jersey
8,325 Posts
why dont you save yourself a TON of work and just swap bodies?

how is the k5 frame? it will be alot easier!

·
American Muslce
227 Posts
The tranny from the 2.8 wont bolt up to the 350 just so you know. Nice project though

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this thing pisses oil like crazy i just relized....like as if you left your tap running not drip drip...pissssssssssssssssss a steady stream from inbetween the tranni and oil pan...looks as if its coming from inbetween the access plate for the ring gear...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why dont you save yourself a TON of work and just swap bodies?

how is the k5 frame? it will be alot easier!
im not to sure what shape its in if the frame is even there....thats not a bad idea isnt the frame hell of a lot wider??

·
**** New Jersey
8,325 Posts
im not to sure what shape its in if the frame is even there....thats not a bad idea isnt the frame hell of a lot wider??

im not sure.. someone JUST did it. let me find the thread. i would sooner do that then a motor / tranny / tcase / and a SAS swap

EDIT: here is the thread. its awesome!

·
**** New Jersey
8,325 Posts

·
**** New Jersey
8,325 Posts
i would.. lot less work and frustration

·
**** New Jersey
8,325 Posts
hmm. i guess you'll have to PM him. or post up in his thread. because im really clueless on that. sorry man. just a thought

·
3 Leaf Fab
4,082 Posts
the firewall is still going to have to be cut tho right he said k5 wheel base is 105 i got 116.5 on my truck...but his motor never fit in the engine bay im sooooo confused.....
a short bed full size is 117.5, that might be a better platform if you wanted the full size frame. as stated earlier, the trans wont bolt to the motor, and i will tell you the t-case wont bolt to the trans. what year was the k5? this is useful for telling me what axles, trans and t-case it would have. and i am almost positive the s10 frames are wider than the full size frames, at least in some parts such as the door area.

edit: i also had my old k5 wheel base at about 118 after a suspension swap. the problem is not getting the WB, its getting the tires to match up to the fender wells and still have the motor fit in the engine bay.

its kind hard to see because of the angle, but here is my stretched WB with uncut fenders.

·
3 Leaf Fab
4,082 Posts
350 motor t350 trans 208 transfer case 10 bolt front and rear diff with brand new 4:11 gears...he says the frame is no good bt can take the whole trck for 500 bcks....
i didnt think the 208 was ever offered behind the th350, only 205's. but its a th350 and not a 700r4?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
clearly states in his add T350 and 208 t-case so he either made a error in either the tranni or t-case...wold a 2.8 move a sfa trck with those axles/gears? or will i jst keep blowing 2.8s? i want to keep it standard!...sorry my keyboard is f'd and i cant type the letter u!...i copied and pasted that one...lol...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so progress today was jst taking the tranni mount off and un bolting tranni crossmember...lossened off the tranni to bellhousing bolts and got guide pins installed gotta go buy and tranni jack tomorrow..then the tranni will be out...by the way the k5 is a 89...

·
3 Leaf Fab
4,082 Posts
so progress today was jst taking the tranni mount off and un bolting tranni crossmember...lossened off the tranni to bellhousing bolts and got guide pins installed gotta go buy and tranni jack tomorrow..then the tranni will be out...by the way the k5 is a 89...
if its an 89, it should be a 700r4 and a 241 case. the t-case will have a badge on the back that tells you what case it is, and you should be able to tell the trans from the shape of the pan. im not saying a th350 is not in there, but ive figured out that people have no clue what they really have most of the time.

in my 89 s10 blazer, i have a 2.8 and plan on running 3/4 ton axles with 38.5's and i have no intention of swapping the motor nor do i feel like it will care (the motor that is). just make sure the gear ratio is correct for the tire size. i would be more worried about the clutch if you had the incorrect gear ratios, like say 4.10 and 35's.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.