S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I had this truck running like a top last summer. I replaced the cap, rotor, wires, plugs, egr, ECM, fuel pump, coil, and vacuum lines. I was getting 20 mtg to boot.

In the fall it started running very rough. I found one plug wire was pulled off the number 2 plug, and the number 4 wire was pulled out of the connector on the dist cap. I can only assume these wires got snagged in the steering column.

I let the truck sit all winter... I finally got off my butt, and replaced the wires thinking I could get rolling. No way. It would turn over, but not start. I rebuilt the carb today, and it will start when floored and run very roughly with half throttle. Otherwise it quits.

I'm at a total loss. And would appreciate any help or ideas.

Jim

·
Pushrod for life!
3,480 Posts
is the gas in the tank the old gas from last year? if so you have bad gas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hadn't thought of the gas... I swapped it out with some fresh, and it acted like it wanted to smooth out a little on the first start.... Then it wouldn't start at all.

Anybody got any C-4?

Jim

·
musical engine builder
2,024 Posts
C-4 explosive? well if you want just drain the gas tank fill some 2 liter bottles up and gett a massive amount of fire crackers. and you have a sweet fire bomb!

but i think that's a little extreme.

it sounds too rich. if you have to keep your foot on it. is the float set right? maybe it's got some varnish in the carb still. i'd say check the float level and if that's good. you could get a large bucket of carb clean and soak the body and parts in it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
1988S10 said:
it sounds too rich. if you have to keep your foot on it. is the float set right? maybe it's got some varnish in the carb still. i'd say check the float level and if that's good. you could get a large bucket of carb clean and soak the body and parts in it.
I agree. I would also get new plug wires. They might have been damaged when they got ripped off the plug and/or rotor. And check the plug to make sure the insulation isn't cracked. Then pour a bottle of Techron in the tank and let it run for a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts