S-10 Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
the new guy
640 Posts
this is something that would be a cool little upgrade. of course, you could just source some tbi stuff from the junkyard and achieve the same results.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Not going TBI now, would need the whole fuel delivery situation set up.

I have a set of fiero valve covers and bolts. If I wanted to use them, how would I attach those parts that are currently attached to the stock valve covers? I don't want to drill into or weld onto the fiero covers. Can someone who has done this post a pic or two? (or repost--there are some threads out there). The main issue is the throttle and detente bracket.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Another question. I bought a new carb gasket because I was having a bit of trouble on cold starts and so many people mentioned having problems with the electric grid in the stock gasket. But looking at the stock one now it doesn’t look bad, it’s not broken or burnt. Should I just reuse it? Don’t need many cold starts in Louisiana.

View attachment 335101

View attachment 335102

·
the new guy
640 Posts
if you are reusing it, I would put a thin layer of rtv on it to make the seal. its compressed and hard as a rock so it might not seal back up to well.

I have reused carb to manifold gaskets on many vehicles with no problems because I was to broke to be able to buy all new gaskets. the rtv worked well for me on carbs from 1 barrel up to 4 barrels. just be careful not to gum up any passages that need to stay clear

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I used the new carb gasket with no warmer. Also, I am not using the Fiero covers at this time--too much trouble. More questions as I put this thing together.

The manifold gasket comes up to the valve cover seal in 4 places. At each of those places it protrudes above the level of the flat surface, looking like it might cause a leak. This is not in the manuals! Pics below. Only one in the back looks really high--the others might be pinched down. I couldn't get clippers on them because all muy clipper sre slightly indented so they won't clip down to a flat surface. So I got a work knife and sawed the ends off all 4. I tried not to leave any sharp edges, but it's hard to tell. Anything wrong with this solution--or maybe it's not really a problem?

Also, the little air injection pipes coming out of the exhaust manifold were rotted and leaking so when I took everything out they just fell apart. This leave three little holes in each manifold. I doubt the nuts will unscrew now, judging by the rust. I suppose leaving them open to the air isn't the best idea. What can I do to close them?

And one more--I am not putting the dead AC back in. Can I just look up the v-belt for the non-AC truck and use that for my power steering?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hello,

For the valve covers -- put a bit of RTV at the joints and install the gaskets. The intake and the head not being perfectly flush is not uncommon.

For setting the timing -- if memory serves, on the carb'd 2.8, unplug the vacuum line to the distributor and cap it. My '82 set at 12 degrees BTDC. Don't forget to put it back!

For the exhaust manifolds, you don't want to leave those holes open since it's a pretty big exhaust leak. Your options are to either drill and tap for pipe plugs (probably something like 1/8" NPT) or try to either weld them closed, or fill them with an epoxy that can take the heat. JB Weld may have a product that can fill them and take the heat.

I converted my '82 to TBI using factory parts in 1995 over a weekend. It's the easiest vehicle I've ever swapped to fuel injection.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Got the valve covers on today. Sprayed a bunch of Blaster on the air pipe nuts on the exhaust manifold and let it soak, then broke the first one off. They are a funny size—13mm socket too small, 14 too big, 1/2” too small, 9/16 too big. I don’t have a 17/32, though I did find a 19/32 in my collection of loose random sockets, that was frustrating. They are going to be too rusty to remove so drill/tap or find someone with a welder will have to suffice. Next step is connecting back all the wires, vacuum and throttle stuff.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,292 Posts
I converted my '82 to TBI using factory parts in 1995 over a weekend. It's the easiest vehicle I've ever swapped to fuel injection.
This is true. To say I was a novice on this was an understatement. It wasn't hard. In fact, I have a sticky on this section about the conversion. Also, the TBI unit has a bracket bolted to it that will allow you to use the Fiero covers. I have them on mine.

At this point, obtaining the parts might be more problematic than actually doing the job. 2.8 TBI intakes aren't that easy to find anymore, nor are acceptable wiring harnesses. Of course, you can get an aftermarket harness, but that's a lot more hassle than just popping one in.

The biggest challenges are probably swapping the fuel pumps and wiring that up. Also adding the CEL light and the speed sensor isn't bad, but you gotta just know how to do it. You'll need a truck that has/had cruise so it has the optical sensor. 86-93 trucks all have the sensor and it will fit the older heads. Gotta drill a big honking hole too for the harness. Machine shop will need to drill out the intake and the rest is pretty plug n play....of course there is more to it, but it's not bad.

·
3,292 Posts
Got the valve covers on today. Sprayed a bunch of Blaster on the air pipe nuts on the exhaust manifold and let it soak, then broke the first one off. They are a funny size—13mm socket too small, 14 too big, 1/2” too small, 9/16 too big. I don’t have a 17/32, though I did find a 19/32 in my collection of loose random sockets, that was frustrating. They are going to be too rusty to remove so drill/tap or find someone with a welder will have to suffice. Next step is connecting back all the wires, vacuum and throttle stuff.
If you can find some Edelbrock headers, that fixes all that. I believe you could also grab some manifolds from a later truck and forget those AIR things. Pretty sure they'll bolt up. Plus it's got a fitting for an o2 sensor should you decide to convert later.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So you are saying the 4.3 exhaust manifolds bolt up to the 2.8? Or do I need a later 2.8? There is an 88 jimmy in the local yard now, think it’s 2.8 not sure. But I’m in Arlington at the El Camino gathering so I can find something between here and home. I really don’t want to start a conversion right now, especially with the fuel system.

·
Administrator
21,471 Posts
So you are saying the 4.3 exhaust manifolds bolt up to the 2.8? Or do I need a later 2.8? There is an 88 jimmy in the local yard now, think it’s 2.8 not sure. But I’m in Arlington at the El Camino gathering so I can find something between here and home. I really don’t want to start a conversion right now, especially with the fuel system.
He meant a later 2.8.

·
3,292 Posts
Exactamundo! 4.3 and 2.8. are entirely different in just about every conceivable way.

·
the new guy
640 Posts
I wonder if you could use the other metric chevy v6 manifolds though? like the Camaro 3.2 or 3.4? I don't know the sizes so I am just asking but since it seems to be common to mix the stuff, maybe those are useable also?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts