S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends new here!
I have an 85 2.8 s15 5 speed 4x4. So here is my problem. I recently putnew intake gaskets on. Put everything back together got it running. Drove it for 3 days, on the third day I started the trucklet it warm up for ten minutes left and went to the gas station put some gas in it and sea foam in the tank since it’s been setting for 2 years figured it would help out. Now it won’t start at all and keeps back firing out of the top of the carb. It ran fine ! Right before I put gas in it. Now I have noticed that my advance on the distributor is pointing straight at myfire wall. I have fuel and I have spark but I’m lost so so lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,143 Posts
Moved to 2.8/3.4.

Instead of helping by adding snake oil (Seafoam), it just makes matters worse. Your best bet would have been to drain the tank and use it in your lawnmower. Any varnish or other contamination is now finding its way thru the fuel system. The carb on your truck was questionable when it was new...now it's pretty much a train wreck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Perhaps you didn't properly secure the distributor ("the advance is now pointing at the firewall") and your timing is off by a mile. Try returning the distributor so the advance canister is where it used to be and see if it starts. Then set timing properly with a timing light.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,469 Posts
Timing chain stretch is also notorious too. May have jumped time. Mine on my old 2.8 was so loose I can't believe it wasn't hitting the cover inside. Unbelievable slack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts