S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been here for a couple of days, but I've been working on my truck for the last year... makes me wish I had some of the money some people on here seem to have.

But anyways this is what I started with:

And this is where I am right now:

My garage is tiny so it's hard to get a good picture while the truck is inside, but I was excited to get pictures of the paint even if it hasn't been cleared yet. ( Had to wait and save up some money for the product and for a new spray gun, and now it's been too damn hot for my dad to even try to clear it. )

You can find more pictures here: http://www.cardomain.com/profile/moosy

I have you're typical things in mind: 350 swap, rollpan, bags (probably not for a few years) and I love those IROC rims on it at the moment. They stick right out to the edge of the fenders and havn't caused any rubbing so far. I can't wait to get this project on the road so I'll have a reason to clean them up as right now they're on there because they are the dirtiest rims I have and need to be cleaned regardless.

·
Bitch
3,958 Posts
We don't have money. We just put ourselves in debt lol. It takes time for everyone to build their trucks. Heck a lot of us are still paying our trucks off. Here's a pic of my 1st s10. It's an 87, thought u might enjoy it, though it would look better lowered.

Attachments

·
Registered Asshole
4,125 Posts
you'd be surprised how good you can make a 1st gen look with very little dough. i probably put about $500 into my black 91 to make it look pretty good. of course i began to add other stuff like cowl hoods and that became expensive. but you can do the basics to make it look nice and clean. good luck with it man!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't spent too much money.. yet.. I got the paint for free and my dad sprayed it, I definately have less then $500 in it, but i still need to get it running properly which will probably cost a few more bucks.

I don't plan on spending too much money on it yet, because it's my first vehicle I just want something cool and reliable. Give it a couple of years, let me get a steady income, and then I'll be jumping into the projects like much of you guys... I've already started a wishlist :)

·
Back again!!
1,680 Posts
that and i dont see what the hell heat has to do with clear, except when its cold. if it really shot, shoot that shit. Thats why most spray booths have heaters. we bake all our cars to 168 after clear is applied.

·
Sprint Car Addict.
10,226 Posts
not bad man! defiently could use a drop asap! i got an 89 shortbed that was pretty f'ed up. i dont have any pics from when i got it but i got a few after i dropped it. theyre in my garage if you wanna check em out.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What happens if you don't shoot the clear within 48 hours?

and it's too hot for my dad to spray the whole thing and get back for the second coat while it's still tacky but not before it completly dries. That's what he's told me anyways.

eventually I want to slam it, if I find cheap blocks and spindles I will go that route for now, but if not I am just going to wait to afford an airride system.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BlackEsDime said:
um... you're supposed to spray the clear within 48 hours or so of spraying the base...

anyway, its looking good
bump

Anyone want to tell me what happens if you don't shoot the clear within 48 hours of the base?

·
Back again!!
1,680 Posts
clear on paint thats cured for more than 48 hours the clear will not adhere correct;y. I hope it works out for you but the chances are its gonna look like poo and youll have to respray pain and clear.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll have more pics when my friend gets back from vacation.

It looks good so far, but it's only been 24hrs. I'll keep an eye on it, if it does do something weird it will be staying the way it is unfortuneately. Next time might be a while becaue I' dlike to shave some things and the truck will be off the road for a while.. again.. and it better not take a year this time. :(

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The clear coat is holding up so far.. The only reason I oculd see doing it sooner is to avoid running.. because it was hard to control the runs in the clear.. but that was easy enough to sand out.. I have a friend coming by this week to take pictures so I will update you then.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts