S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1984 Chevy S10 with a 4-speed. I have replaced the 4-speed with a automatic transmission.I kept the four speed radiator just added a transmission cooler in front of it. Now it wants to run about 200 degrees without a thermostat.Is this too hot if so do you think because I kept the 4 speed radiator? what should I do? Any help is greatly appreciate it thanks!

·
Administrator
23,072 Posts
If you are using Talk to Text, it's not working very well. Please use punctuation. It makes reading posts easier.

·
Administrator
23,072 Posts
Much better...thanks.

First question is why did you leave the thermostat out?. I'm guessing by your name you have the 2.5 Iron Duke? Can't see how swapping transmissions would cause an overheat condition. Have you made any cooling mods...electric fans?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 1984 Chevy S10 with a 4-speed. I have replaced the 4-speed with a automatic transmission.I kept the four speed radiator just added a transmission cooler in front of it. Now it wants to run about 200 degrees without a thermostat.Is this too hot if so do you think because I kept the 4 speed radiator? what should I do? Any help is greatly appreciate it thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know if my first message went threw to you not sure how to post. So here it goes again.. Thanks for replying. I didn't remove the thermostat until I noticed it running relatively warm. I am still using the clutch fan.it runs about the same temperature with or without the thermostat. do you think it could be the radiator should I put the automatic radiator in it. Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciate it thanks. Oh and it is the 2.8 v6. Thanks

·
Been there Done it
8,187 Posts
Not 100% sure for a 1984, but most S-10's are designed to run at 195°. So 200° isn't what I'd consider hot. Most gauges aren't accurate enough to distinguish 5°. I'd put the thermostat back in so the engine warms up properly.
Since your rad is 36 years old it might not hurt to replace it. It could be getting some degree of blockage in the tubes. They aren't very expensive any more, but don't go with the cheapest one you can find. It would't last another 36 years.
Is your shroud still there? They make a big difference in a fans cooling ability.
Don't let someone talk you into changing to electric fans. Doing a work around isn't the proper way to fix something. Besides, they need a quality controller to work properly. On a stock truck the Original fan is more than adequate. If it's worked this long for you and how you use your truck, it'll continue to do so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not 100% sure for a 1984, but most S-10's are designed to run at 195°. So 200° isn't what I'd consider hot. Most gauges aren't accurate enough to distinguish 5°. I'd put the thermostat looback in so the engine warms up properly.
Since your rad is 36 years old it might not hurt to replace it. It could be getting some degree of blockage in the tubes. They aren't very expensive any more, but don't go with the cheapest one you can find. It would't last another 36 years.
Is your shroud still there? They make a big difference in a fans cooling ability.
Don't let someone talk you into changing to electric fans. Doing a work around isn't the proper way to fix something. Besides, they need a quality controller to work properly. On a stock truck the Original fan is more than adequate. If it's worked this long for you and how you use your truck, it'll continue to do so.

·
Been there Done it
8,187 Posts
Try it and see. You don't need to disturb the external cooler if you don't want to, just to see if it cools better. If it does work better I'd run the trans lines thru both coolers because the rad acts as a trans warmer in real cold weather. Unless you do heavy hauling or towing you shouldn't need both and I've seen cases where too many lines just caused leaks if not done real well.

·
FLORIDA BUTCH
15 Posts
I live in Florida. The truck cooled fine with it's original radiator, till I changed to a Stroker 350. I bought a 3 row radiator, and twin Derale fans that are 2,000 cfm each. Now it runs at 185 degrees, even on hot days. I wouldn't want to run my engine at 200 degrees. Next time Im going to buy a two row radiator. They have bigger tubes. I don't use a thermostat, however I use the casing. I cut the spring out of the center of the thermostat housing, and install the casing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The whole point of a thermostat is to speed up getting the engine to operating temperature for drivability and fuel efficiency also at high road speed. Computer management will compensate, that's what the MAF, MAP, BARO and temp sensors are for, but if you are running carbs you'll do better with the thermostat. Here in southern Florida it's usefulness is not as obvious as it is up north. A 350 cubic inch engine develops a heck of a lot more heat than a 2.2 liter (134 cubic inches) so modification would be required. How big was the shoehorn you needed?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts