S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I could use your advice on changing the freeze plugs in my truck. I have an '84 S10 2.8 V6 Automatic. I am not at all knowledgeable about fixing vehicles, but am a whiz with anything computer related. I figure that I should be able to do this job myself, but I could really use some guidance before I go tearing into stuff.

From what a mechanic friend told me the plug(s) that are leaking are the ones on the back of the block, but I would like to replace all of them at once if possible. Problem is, since I am not a car person I don't have a whole lot of tools available, much less an engine lift to get to the plugs.

I have watched a few videos on changing freeze plugs on YouTube, but I have yet to find a video that is of a similar truck to mine. I understand the basics of how to go about it, but getting to the plugs is my problem.

Can anyone give me an idea of the steps needed to get this job done on my particular vehicle? If at all possible, without having to pull the engine. Also, what all tools needed for the job. I am willing to buy any tools I may be missing. I just really want to save $500+ by doing this myself, as I am in a bit of a rough patch money-wise currently.

Thank you.

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
With any freeze plug it is relatively simple once you get to them. Use a punch and large hammer on the outer lip of the plug until it falls inside a little. Then use a large curved pair of jaw pliers and use the curve as leverage and out it comes. To reinstall I coat the outer lip and inner diameter with lionhead shellac and seat into place with a large sockets that fits just the inside of the plug, and tap in until flush with the block.

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
If you can find them get brass plugs as they won't corrode.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,383 Posts
Yes, you are right. If one is leaking, they are all failing more than likely. This happened on my truck. The ones on the back of the motor? Have to pull the motor and separate the transmission or drop the transmission with the motor in the truck to get to them. Pulling an automatic transmission is a PITA in the truck.

Brass plugs are best. The ones on the side? You can replace them with the engine in the truck, but it is a total bastard! Because you have to drive them in straight, and it is really hard to get a straight shot at it. I'd just pull the motor and do them all...that is a lot of work, but it is worthwhile because of the time you will spend working around them....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, you are right. If one is leaking, they are all failing more than likely. This happened on my truck. The ones on the back of the motor? Have to pull the motor and separate the transmission or drop the transmission with the motor in the truck to get to them. Pulling an automatic transmission is a PITA in the truck.

Brass plugs are best. The ones on the side? You can replace them with the engine in the truck, but it is a total bastard! Because you have to drive them in straight, and it is really hard to get a straight shot at it. I'd just pull the motor and do them all...that is a lot of work, but it is worthwhile because of the time you will spend working around them....
Thanks jimmykicker, just what I was looking for. I don't have a way to pull the engine myself, so I guess I will be dropping the transmission instead. Why are auto transmissions such a pain to pull?

·
Boozebag
9,265 Posts
Any tranny is a pain to pull if you don't have the tools/facility. If you have never done this before or have not had alot of mechanical challenges, this can be dangerous also. You will need a jack and jack stands at the very least, a set of tools and a clean dry FLAT place to do this job.
If a tranny falls on you, it can literally cut your arm off.
The only real issues I can see - if you have a place and tools - is tight bolts. You will have a btch of a time. Like the bolts on the flex plate to crank. You have to hold the engine from turning and break the bolts loose at the same time. Not a real big deal if you have some help... hold the flex plate teeth with a pry bar on the alignment pin in the block - as an example.
If you didn't know that when you pull the drive shaft, it showers tranny juice... just another example.

Again, I am only going by what you say. No insult intended. It's generally a straight forward job, but there are some goofy things that you know from past experience.

Anyway, there are tons of forum members that can help out. Post pics!

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,383 Posts
Clearance for the top two bolts is tough. It can be done though. Drop the transmission mount and the driveshaft and it will give you more access. That will help tremendously. It is heavy however. Read cautions above. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will post pictures tomorrow to give you guys a better idea of what I am working with. She's a good ol' truck with a nice body for her age. :D

·
Boozebag
9,265 Posts
Wow Batman...
Performance mods deluxe! :cool:
Looks alot like mine, only the 2 BBl is different. Headers, Eddy intake and a 350 CFM carb? or is it a 500 CFM?
Single exhaust or dual?
Also: looks like the original 2.8.
Nice looking long bed Dood! :)

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
Almost a spitting image of mine haha mines also a long bed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow Batman...
Performance mods deluxe! :cool:
Looks alot like mine, only the 2 BBl is different. Headers, Eddy intake and a 350 CFM carb? or is it a 500 CFM?
Single exhaust or dual?
Also: looks like the original 2.8.
Nice looking long bed Dood! :)
Sorry, not a car/truck person at all. Not even sure what BBl or CFM stand for. It is dual exhaust, and as far as I know the original 2.8.

Thanks for the compliments though. Now just gotta get these free plugs replaced. :rolleyes:

·
Boozebag
9,265 Posts
Sorry, not a car/truck person at all. Not even sure what BBl or CFM stand for. It is dual exhaust, and as far as I know the original 2.8.

Thanks for the compliments though. Now just gotta get these free plugs replaced. :rolleyes:
Bbl = Barrel - as in how many venturies your carburator has.
CFM = Cubic Feet per Minute - as in the air flow capacity a carburator has. This usually is the measurement or size of the carb.
Someone before you did some expensive modifications to your truck. I am guessing it runs very well and has good performance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I could use your advice on changing the freeze plugs in my truck. I have an '84 S10 2.8 V6 Automatic. I am not at all knowledgeable about fixing vehicles, but am a whiz with anything computer related. I figure that I should be able to do this job myself, but I could really use some guidance before I go tearing into stuff.

From what a mechanic friend told me the plug(s) that are leaking are the ones on the back of the block, but I would like to replace all of them at once if possible. Problem is, since I am not a car person I don't have a whole lot of tools available, much less an engine lift to get to the plugs.

I have watched a few videos on changing freeze plugs on YouTube, but I have yet to find a video that is of a similar truck to mine. I understand the basics of how to go about it, but getting to the plugs is my problem.

Can anyone give me an idea of the steps needed to get this job done on my particular vehicle? If at all possible, without having to pull the engine. Also, what all tools needed for the job. I am willing to buy any tools I may be missing. I just really want to save $500+ by doing this myself, as I am in a bit of a rough patch money-wise currently.

Thank you.

Thank you.
I have a 93 2.8 V6 and yes one plug after another has failed and now the one in the rear went, I can't find a diagram of the jack location anywhere online if anyone has one I would appreciate it, I am seriously considering removing the dashboard and cutting through the firewall but I need to know the exact location of the plug

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,266 Posts
Don't bump old threads.
Start a new thread in 2.8/3.4.

...and make your life easy...pull the engine.

Closed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.