S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum as of today. I recently acquired a 1983 S10 Sport in totally original condition. This has been a Montana truck its entire life. I got the truck at a very reasonable price as the previous owner could not afford to do the repairs, the clutch went out on it. I pulled the 4 speed transmission and sure enough the clutch was bad and discovered that the rear main and pan gasket were leaking. So I went ahead and pulled the engine which is now on an engine stand. Thats when I discovered many of the vacuum hoses were dry and brittle and one exhaust manifold bolt is twisted off. Now I originally wanted to keep everything original as possible as I will be flipping this vehicle. It has the original bill of sale, the build sheet, the original jack and the spare tire support still works, it only has minor surface rust, great patina on the original paint and graphics, the interior needs to be replace but the floor pans are in exceptional condition.

My question is concerning the smog control setup. I am having difficulty in finding some of the smog related pieces, especially the multiple vacuum fittings coming off the intake manifold. I've checked with LMC, Autozone, Advanced Auto and Rock Auto without much luck. So, should I keep the smog setup or should I remove it. If I keep it does anyone know of alternate vendors that supply replace parts, even a carburetor kit? If I remove the smog equipment what is the best course of action to take without going overboard on cost as I want to retain the 2.8L V6 is currently has?

Thanks for any comments and advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was my first thought, to keep it as original as possible. However, I am now thinking of going over to a Weber Carb unless I can find a kit for the POS that's on it now. I am old enough to know how to rebuild a carb since I've done a few. Even the SU's I had on my older Volvos. So I need to find out if the Weber can connect to the smog equipment and if so I'm going that route. As for the photos you will have to wait awhile as the car is on 4 jack stands, the interior is out except the dash and headliner, and the engine is on an engine stand. My garage is pretty crammed right now and not enough room to take good photos.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,383 Posts
That was my first thought, to keep it as original as possible. However, I am now thinking of going over to a Weber Carb unless I can find a kit for the POS that's on it now. I am old enough to know how to rebuild a carb since I've done a few. Even the SU's I had on my older Volvos. So I need to find out if the Weber can connect to the smog equipment and if so I'm going that route. As for the photos you will have to wait awhile as the car is on 4 jack stands, the interior is out except the dash and headliner, and the engine is on an engine stand. My garage is pretty crammed right now and not enough room to take good photos.

The 2SE carb is probably the number one thing that needs improving on the old ones. When that engine can be allowed to breathe, it will run much stronger. I have had my s10 since 97 and had the stock, Holley 4bbl and the EFI. I had the Holley on both the 2.8 and 3.4 which made significant improvement. Never had the Weber, but I heard results were similar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jk thanks for the input. Can you give me the Holley model number you used? Also, will it work with all the smog control connections? Thanks.

·
3,383 Posts
I’ll be honest. I’m not sure whether or not that the smog stuff can be connected. Most of mine was missing by 1997. It’s a Holley 390cfm with the Edelbrock intake and 4bbl top. I bought mine from Jegs.
See if this works.

·
3,383 Posts
3785 and 3789.

·
3,383 Posts
You can use the stock carb top on this too, but why bother? It’s crap.
Use the long black spring with the carb tuning kit. Unless you want 11mpg. 🤣

·
Registered
1984 S-10 pickup, short box, short cab, 2WD, zero options. 2.8L 4 SP manual(orig) 350 swap June 2020
23 Posts
I have a 1984 with 46K on the original 2.8 it needs a cap and rotor, probably plugs and wires wouldn't hurt either. It sat in a barn in NC from 2000 to 2017. 4 speed manual attached. Shoot me an offer and pay for shipping and it can be yours. I'll include everything in the engine compartment associated with that motor (AC stuff included). I'm pulling it this weekend for the SB swap and would like to keep all the emissions stuff and everything under the hood that goes with the motor for whoever buys it. 4 Speed manual included with nice clutch, but I'm keeping the slave/master for when I put in the T-5 over the upcoming winter (stuck putting the TH350 in this summer for my 1st swap).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the offer but I'm going to freshen up this 2.8 and put it up for sale. Good luck with your project it sounds like fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New to the forum as of today. I recently acquired a 1983 S10 Sport in totally original condition. This has been a Montana truck its entire life. I got the truck at a very reasonable price as the previous owner could not afford to do the repairs, the clutch went out on it. I pulled the 4 speed transmission and sure enough the clutch was bad and discovered that the rear main and pan gasket were leaking. So I went ahead and pulled the engine which is now on an engine stand. Thats when I discovered many of the vacuum hoses were dry and brittle and one exhaust manifold bolt is twisted off. Now I originally wanted to keep everything original as possible as I will be flipping this vehicle. It has the original bill of sale, the build sheet, the original jack and the spare tire support still works, it only has minor surface rust, great patina on the original paint and graphics, the interior needs to be replace but the floor pans are in exceptional condition.

My question is concerning the smog control setup. I am having difficulty in finding some of the smog related pieces, especially the multiple vacuum fittings coming off the intake manifold. I've checked with LMC, Autozone, Advanced Auto and Rock Auto without much luck. So, should I keep the smog setup or should I remove it. If I keep it does anyone know of alternate vendors that supply replace parts, even a carburetor kit? If I remove the smog equipment what is the best course of action to take without going overboard on cost as I want to retain the 2.8L V6 is currently has?

Thanks for any comments and advice.

I found a pristine one-owner 1984 (makes it about half as old as I am lol) S15 w 59K miles. Took the hood off as it is SO much easier to work on and replaced all the vacuum lines and choke heater. Did your basic tune up and it runs quite well. Only issue rear main leaks and a PITA to fix. IMO very under powered especially with AC running. I see a V-8, manual trans, and absolutely dual exhaust in it's future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It sounds as if you are going to keep your 84 S10. A SB V8 would be a great way to enhance the fun factor for that vehicle. Go for it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks MrBanks. I definitely plan on keeping it.!

·
Registered
1984 S-10 pickup, short box, short cab, 2WD, zero options. 2.8L 4 SP manual(orig) 350 swap June 2020
23 Posts
I really wanted to keep mine with the MT when doing the V8 swap but I'm having a very hard time finding headers that say they are compatible. Everything I find says AT only. Only thing I can think is that the slave cylinder may interfere with the collector. I'll find out soon enough as I plan on dropping it in this weekend with the 5 speed MT from my full size p/u, if it doesn't work I have a TH350 on standby.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really wanted to keep mine with the MT when doing the V8 swap but I'm having a very hard time finding headers that say they are compatible. Everything I find says AT only. Only thing I can think is that the slave cylinder may interfere with the collector. I'll find out soon enough as I plan on dropping it in this weekend with the 5 speed MT from my full size p/u, if it doesn't work I have a TH350 on standby.
Same here. Mine's an auto but I'd much prefer a manual. I could by a manual donor truck for what I need but so far all the "swap in a box kits seem to be auto only.

·
3,383 Posts
You can actually make power approaching a small V8 with a 3.4 swap. I've done it. It wrenches like stock and handles well. It's not hacked up nor is it an ill handling deathtrap. It's a cool project versus another "me too" V8 conversion. Plus it trips people out when I tell them what kind of motor is in it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
No doubt you are correct yet nothing sounds as sweet to my ears as V-8 with dual Flowmasters ;-)

Reactions: jimmykicker

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After I cleaned my 2.8L block I noticed is had an aluminum tag on it stating it is a GM AC Delco remanufactured engine. The tag states: Bore OS .060, Main Brgs .010, Thrust .000, Rod Brgs .010 and ACD 96020. Does anyone know what the new displacement of this engine is now and what does ACD stand for? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts