S-10 Forum banner

800w to a 10 inc comp vr

693 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  HotWheelz 
#1 ·
i got a kenwood 800 amp from a friend and i am getting a 10 in comp vr for christmas. will this kill my sub???? say u were running a 500w amp with a 200w sub would the sub only take the 200 watts out of the amp, or would the amp push the 500 watts through the sub?

#4 ·
not trying to burst any bubbles but even rockfords biggest amp may not even put out a TRUE 600 w RMS......on the front of some rockford amp i saw it said 2400 watt ...... what the hell!!!!??????!!!!!!?????!!!!? maybe when lighting struck it! TRUE 600 w RMS is hard to find but all amp companys over rate their stuff and only the few and very expensive are actually underrated. im not bashing rockford or anything but never believe what an amp says it will put out.....its all marketing....damn this world

#5 ·
im pretty sure that the amp your gonna get from your friend is not 800w rms. but if you post the model, we can help you out more exact to your situation.
you should be able to wire your sub and set the gain in a fashion that you will not have wasted your money on the speaker when you fire everything up.

kevin

#8 ·
stereo-joey said:
not trying to burst any bubbles but even rockfords biggest amp may not even put out a TRUE 600 w RMS......on the front of some rockford amp i saw it said 2400 watt ...... what the hell!!!!??????!!!!!!?????!!!!? maybe when lighting struck it! TRUE 600 w RMS is hard to find but all amp companys over rate their stuff and only the few and very expensive are actually underrated. im not bashing rockford or anything but never believe what an amp says it will put out.....its all marketing....damn this world
The amp I am using is an old Rockford DSM 200ix. It's rated to do 400 rms into a 4 ohm mono load. The guy I bought it off claims the birthsheet was 744 rms, but he can't produce it and I'm not believing it. I've done a lot of searching around on the amp and it seems every one I've found with a birthsheet for it has an actual output of 550-650 rms. I'd believe it because I am amble to pull enough current with it to pop a 50 amp fuse on a constant low bass note (with my old sub that could take that wattage).

Rockford is very conservative with their ratings, especially on their back-in-the-day equipment. I've never seen a Rockford amp that claims 2400 watts on the front of it. What amp was it exactly? They JUST started putting wattage on their amps, and only on their lower level Punch amps. Unfortunatly they are using max power and not rms on those cases (which is gay).

#11 ·
if the sub is dual 4 ohm you could wire it in series and cut the output of the amp in half. what size fuse is in the amp, you can usually multiple the factory fuse size x10 and it will give you a prety good idea of real power.

#12 ·
stereo-joey said:

what are you talking about man? i know they are starting to put a max rating on the front of their lower end amps...but that 801S or whatever it is, is still doing around 900wrms. next time you go to BB open one of the boxes and look at the birthsheet. i agree that stamping a max # on the amp is a little...:bah: ...but you have no reason to say that ALL amp comanies over-rate their amps. you must not be buying quality stuff bro. Kicker under-rates, Rockford Fosgate under-rates, the amp i use, Adire Audio 1500d, very under-rated.....JL, audio...probably right on the money with their rating....even JBL like with the 1200.1 have been benched over and over again doing 1300+. So to say that ALL amps companies over-rate and to NEVER believe what an amp says is just not right man.. you have to buy quality equipment in order to expext quality performance.....not trying to be a dick...but i HAD to correct those things...so somebody else just learning didn't copt that attitude..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.