S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently attempted installing a set of 3.42 gears in place of my stock 3.08's on my gov-lock posi and suffice it to say I broke the posi part of the carrier. A 1 day originally planned project turned into a 2 day 3.08 posi into 3.08 open differential project. I know I want to get an all new posi carrier and have it professionally installed, but I am wondering what carrier I should go with, Powertrax, Auburn, Zexel (I heard they make a carrier for 8.5" now), or maybe even a better version Eaton? Are there any other carriers that someone could suggest as a good upgrade from the stock carrier? I really do not want to break the bank if it all possible, something in the $300 range would be ideal as long as its not a gov-lock with timex watch sized pieces! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
samdogmx said:
after i exploded mine i went with troy's suggestion & got a heavy duty eaton so far it has taken all the abuse i can throw at it

http://nationaldrivetrain.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page35.html

thats about the cheapest place around for them
Great, thanks for the advice. Just to be absolutely certain (even though I had the thing apart), my 2000 8.5" is a 30 spline unit correct? Also, I got a rearend rebuild kit from ratech for the 8.5", I will still be able to have the shop that does the install use these shims? I will be ordering this carrier asap as long as I am correct about the spline count. Thanks again.

Mike

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MINTSICK said:
Great, thanks for the advice. Just to be absolutely certain (even though I had the thing apart), my 2000 8.5" is a 30 spline unit correct? Also, I got a rearend rebuild kit from ratech for the 8.5", I will still be able to have the shop that does the install use these shims? lastly, did you get any special type of bearings and races for this carrier, I see that truckperformance.com notes that special races and bearings are needed for 1999-present rears? I will be ordering this carrier asap, thanks again.
Mike

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
Got a ford 9" with a powertrax locker. Thing works flawlessly (I've had it since April). Way I understand it on the 8.5 rear/open diff the powertrax just replaces the spider gears - like a mini spool - no need to remove the ring gear - simple install (9" is a little different). Got mine from DTS for $415 to my door.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rhansen said:
Got a ford 9" with a powertrax locker. Thing works flawlessly (I've had it since April). Way I understand it on the 8.5 rear/open diff the powertrax just replaces the spider gears - like a mini spool - no need to remove the ring gear - simple install (9" is a little different). Got mine from DTS for $415 to my door.
I looked into the powertrax units as well, it is nice that you do not have to remove the ring gear, but I want to change gears as well and do not want to keep the stock gov-lock posi that I have now transformed into an open diff. The eaton looks to be exactly what I am looking for, $360 isn't too bad of a price either.

·
stock is the new fixed up
530 Posts
after reading this im kinda scared to do mine when the time comes. i was looking to do the same thing you tried to do, 3.08 to 3.42, but keep the stock posi.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would seriously consider getting it done professionally, I thought I could get it done with the help of a friend but it is just too tough, especially without a lift and a high powered air ratchet. It was hard enough just getting the carrier out with the rearend jacked up, putting it back in was disgusting as the carrier shims and races kept on falling out and getting misaligned. And the hardest part of it all is getting the pinion nut off, this nut needs about 400-500 ft lbs of torque to get it off, we tried a few techniques trying to get it off with a breaker bar and some creativity, this is what broke the gov-lock, blew one of the spider gears right out and through a piece of the small posi parts. I was never really that pleased with the stock g80 posi in the first place, I know in my truck and a few friends with the stock gov-lock, turning right and getting on it would almost everytime result in a 1 legger burnout, turn left and you could get sideways everytime.

Atleast I found out (the hard way) that gears are not something I ever want to attempt again, now instead of paying $300 for an install, I'm looking at $360+ for a new carrier and then $300 for an install. Oh well, atleast I will have a much better posi unit to go with the 3.42's, should be nice once I get them installed.

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
I did a rear diff job on a 97 Cobra mustang at work the other day. I replaced all the bearings and races. I didnt do anything with the gears or the guts of the carrier. I put it all together and it whines pretty good on decell with the clutch disengaged. Ring and Pinion is best left to the professionals.

PLEASE DELETE

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
I did a rear diff job on a 97 Cobra mustang at work the other day. I replaced all the bearings and races. I didnt do anything with the gears or the guts of the carrier. I put it all together and it whines pretty good on decell with the clutch disengaged. Ring and Pinion is best left to the professionals. hopefully ones that know more than I do :)

·
stock is the new fixed up
530 Posts
thanks for the heads up guys, i can deal with some stuff with my truck, but im no expert....especially when it comes to using special tools to get stuff off. so if i spent the 170 or whatever it is for gears, and 100 for the install kit, would it still be around $300 labor to have a shop install everything? so thats around $500 total? im just looking for a broad amount i can set to the job, so i can put it to wherever on the to-do list.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was basing $300 off of say 5 hours of labor max (a professional shop should be able to have this done in 3 hours I would like to think) at $60 an hour, shouldn't be any other costs besides diff lube if you are supplying everything else, so I would say $500 is a very close estimate.

·
ZR2 Interceptor
662 Posts
97S10SS said:
I did a rear diff job on a 97 Cobra mustang at work the other day. I replaced all the bearings and races. I didnt do anything with the gears or the guts of the carrier. I put it all together and it whines pretty good on decell with the clutch disengaged. Ring and Pinion is best left to the professionals. hopefully ones that know more than I do :)
If the preload and backlash were setup correctly, there shouldn't be any whine. Sounds like its setup too tight. You'll know soon enough.

·
zippy
733 Posts
for the price it's likely only and eaton or auburn that you'll get. my personal choice if it weren't for the cost would be a detroit locker though.

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
ppap said:
If the preload and backlash were setup correctly, there shouldn't be any whine. Sounds like its setup too tight. You'll know soon enough.
Ya I pulled it back apart today. Found the pinon shim was to small, the pinion was riding to far back/forward whatever haha. It had a .015 shim in it, I measured it needed a .035. I put the original shim back in it because everyone told me if you dont replace the ring or pinion gear you can usually get away with it. I threw it all back together, road tested, seems to be fine now.
Backlash in spec, preload right in the middle of spec, should be good to go.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MKR said:
for the price it's likely only and eaton or auburn that you'll get. my personal choice if it weren't for the cost would be a detroit locker though.
Detroit locker isn't exactly daily driven friendly is it? I looked at them and they are $550 and up, no thanks.

·
ZR2 Interceptor
662 Posts
MINTSICK said:
Detroit locker isn't exactly daily driven friendly is it? I looked at them and they are $550 and up, no thanks.
For all you street guys with stock engines that never see any serious off-road, an open or limited slip carrier will do. The auto lockers will get you into a lot of trouble in the snow and rain if you aren't used to their locking characteristics. Put your money towards a new set of tires instead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts