S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G' morning,
Guys, I need some advice here. 2000 Blazer 4x4 manual with 8.5 rear end and both rear axle shafts are bad. GM # 26058079 Striking out to find these things. Even the ridiculous priced ones you find online, email me back and say Out of Stock. So, . . .is my only option junking it and swapping in the weaker 7" ??? Or do I go talk to a machine shop and ask if they can shorten ZR2 axles? Or ??? Thanks in advance.

·
Hardhead
831 Posts
Any 4x4 Blazer axle shaft should work if it had a 4.3, they should be 8.5 rears to the best of my knowledge. What's wrong with yours? You may have a problem with the housing if they are both bad and I sure wouldn't want to buy axles if they'll just go bad again.

·
Been there Done it
7,820 Posts
The 8.5 non ZR2 is hard to find since they didn't make many, only 4.3 5 speeds got them and there weren't many 4wd Blazers that were stick. Most were soccer Mom haulers in the northern part of the country.
But this place seems to have them:

Hired gun off road 417-501-4446
GM 8.5 Inch 94-04 S10 not ZR2 Fits Both Left and Right side, 28.82 Inch 30 Spline
Brand: Revolution Gear and Axle Price: $87.75

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Any 4x4 Blazer axle shaft should work if it had a 4.3, they should be 8.5 rears to the best of my knowledge. What's wrong with yours? You may have a problem with the housing if they are both bad and I sure wouldn't want to buy axles if they'll just go bad again.
Not quite true. Like @oldeerslayer said the 8.5 is somewhat rare, although I've come across 3 4x4 8.5s in the last year.

It isn't unusual at all to find the axles shafts with a groove from the bearings with the age of S10/Blazers now.

@fido if the Revolution Gear set comes up short you can purchase custom length axles from Moser for about $300/pair. It was hard to find axles for my 2WD 8.5 and ended up going that route as the price was about the same for stock replacement vs the upgraded Moser axles.

·
Been there Done it
7,820 Posts
I know they make a rear axle bearing repair kit that repositions the bearing and seal so you don't need to replace the axles due to worn bearing or seal surfaces. Don't know how good they work or if they make them for the 8.5. Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
They do make them. From what I remember when researching what to do with my 8.5 with the worn axles they are in the $40-50 range each. A pair is about the cost of one of the axles you found.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I was looking for the same axle last year. Revolution Gear and Dutchman Axle both had stock replacement axles. The Revolution Gear axles were about $100 a pair cheaper than the Dutchman axles, But the Dutchman axles are made in the USA And the Revolution Gear axles are made in India. I haven’t heard anything bad about either one.
I used the axle saver bearings on a 7.6 axle. Some people say they’re fine, some say they’re junk. I didn’t have time to wait for a new axle to arrive so I used the axle saver bearings. That was three years ago and they are going bad now. Certainly not a permanent repair but I got about 30,000 miles out of it.

·
Gears and Differentials
1,371 Posts
I've had a lot of problems with the axle saver bearings. When I had my rear end shop I stopped installing them in customer's cars because most of them came back soon. I was loosing money on labor because they had to be replaced, and I was having to replace brake shoes because the seals were leaking oil onto the brakes.

·
Hardhead
831 Posts
I guess I should have read closer. For some reason I got side tracked and thought you were dealing with a ZR2 model. Those standard 4x4 5 speed Blazers are some rare birds from what I've seen. I agree with Harley and oldeerslayer, they're hard to come by. Didn't mean to miss lead you.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I guess Im a hoarder,have 4 of them here,but one is still under a running driving Blazer

I have a few ZR2 axles and was checking into resplining.
Local machine shop wants $100 to do a pair,so the cheapo axles seem like a good alternative.
also check summit,as they offer made in USA ones that are a better material than stock ones
Use caution when searching as there are 2 different retainer depths and hub register diameters

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I looked last night and couldnt find any Summit brand axles for this application
They have a nice app that will allow search by length

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Be careful with car-part.com They often don't know what they have as far as 8.5 vs 7.5 axles.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Be careful with car-part.com They often don't know what they have as far as 8.5 vs 7.5 axles.
Harley and I have both got lumps on head from school of hard knocks on this one.
EVEN WITH THE $2k throw down,jump back programs they have they still dont know.
after Ive gotten pictures from them they still swear its an 8.6 rear.
I started calling yards that listed 5 speed transmissions asking if they had the rear end it came from.
One guy said he was an expert on S series for 30 yrs and that only half the 5 speed late models(98+) were 8.6...yea ok.
I wouldnt pay over $50 for a used axle,get new.
I started a topic about 8.6s a while back,perhaps might want to read and get all the info gathered

39,705 Posts
Whenever you reference a relevant thread that may be helpful post a link. Car-part is great but like Harley said you have to do some footwork and personally put eyes on the part.

·
Administrator
22,618 Posts
All you have to do is click on the magnifying glass at the top of the page in the Search Community box....opens up all the search options.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts