S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
where da white women at?
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first, 96 2.2 5 speed, PO said 4.11s in the back, doubt it but ok. 30s on the back, header into magnaflow straight-thru.

my biggest problem with this truck is the highway. at 70mph(gps speed), its running what im guessing to be about 3200rpm. it sounds like it needs a 6th gear. on a trip to syracuse last week i only got about 20mpg the entire time. its uncomfortable to drive because it sounds like its going to blow up! i have 30 inch winterforce tires on the back, and i was looking at getting some camaro rims and smaller tires, but all thats gonna do is raise the cruising RPM even more.

so my questions are, first, do you think my truck has 4.11s? second, the 2.2 is a complete dog now, but is it un-driveable with 3.55s in the rear? and does every s10 run that high at 70?

·
Press Z or R twice
1,080 Posts
i could have sworn it was 4.10's not .11's but mine came with 3.73's and its def not 3200 rmps at 70 but i dont have a tach

·
2.2 Extremist
4,307 Posts
yes it has 4.10's not 4.11's. Second, put smaller tires on it. I was running 275/70/R15 on the back on my Noma and it was always at higher rpm's. put smaller tires on it and it got alot better as far as rpms while cruising.

being that you have a 2.2 5-speed reg. cab I'd say it more likely has 3.73's but theres an rpo code listing in your glove box, look for either the GT4 or GT5 rpo code, that will tell you what gears you have.

GT4 = 3.73
GT5 = 4.10

·
I Prefer Payne
906 Posts
my 2.2 auto with 4.10 sits at i think 2600 at 70. and i have stock size tires. it must not be a 4.10 rear. i dont know if there is a way to check to see what gearing it is.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,451 Posts
my auto tachs 2000 rpm @ 55mph 4:10 ratio I don't remember what the rpms read @ 70

·
Press Z or R twice
1,080 Posts
yes it has 4.10's not 4.11's. Second, put smaller tires on it. I was running 275/70/R15 on the back on my Noma and it was always at higher rpm's. put smaller tires on it and it got alot better as far as rpms while cruising.

being that you have a 2.2 5-speed reg. cab I'd say it more likely has 3.73's but theres an rpo code listing in your glove box, look for either the GT4 or GT5 rpo code, that will tell you what gears you have.

GT4 = 3.73
GT5 = 4.10
putting smaller tires on it would make the rpm's rise at cruising speed

·
Registered
4 Posts
wait, it might be a 4.10 cause a smaller number like 3.83 would make your rpms drop.
Yes, the higher the number the lower the gear, the lower gear will need more RPM so I can bet he has the 4.10. I have the 3.23 and at 70 it's at 2600rpm.

NJ...underdrive pulleys would really help you out and drop your cruising rpm along with adding more torque. You could also change the ring and pinion but thats a pain and I would get the pulley's. How long has it been since you've done a tune up to the motor cause it shouldn't be sounding like it's going to blow at only 3200rpm. Then again your exhaust setup is going to make a lot of noise.

·
where da white women at?
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
welp, ill go check the RPO. i dont have a tach either, im just guessing. and i didnt mean blow up as in its gonna die, i mean like its reving high. real high.

im highly considering getting a exploder 8.8 with 3.55s now since its nothing but benefits. strength, reliability, aftermarket, disc brakes etc.

·
2.2 Extremist
4,307 Posts
the 7.625 is plenty strong for a 2.2, not sure a 2.2 would ever make enough power to hurt a 7.625 rear end. and with 3.55 gears you'll lose some get up to speed ability

·
Press Z or R twice
1,080 Posts
underdrive pulleys do not effect rpm's either... they just reduce drag on the motor, the only thing that will effect them is gearing/tire size

·
Press Z or R twice
1,080 Posts
I'm not purposely trying to prove everyone wrong here, just trying to make sure you get the most correct information. and as for the underdrive pulleys it might make you feel like youre at a lower rpm but youre not, its just not working as hard at the rpm to achieve the current speed. so this actaully might help but i don't think there is anything wrong with the OP's truck, its just geared high

and your cat delete might have something to do with it, our trucks dont like that too much

·
Electrical Mod
56,129 Posts
Wow......a lot of mis-spoken information.....anyways, check the gearing first, unless it was swapped. then you'll have to count the number of rotations by lifting the rear off the ground and spinning the driveshaft when the truck is in neutral.

As for tach, you can easily get a tachometer cluster from a 95-97 S10 with the 5 spd and swap it right in, it's plug and play and will give you a tach.

Or an aftermarket tach is easy to install as well. With 3,73's, 215 75 15's, I used to do around 2800 at 70 mph. Smaller tires and lower gearing (4.10's etc..) will increase the RPM's at 70.

·
where da white women at?
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was going for the 8.8 because theres a 5.3 in this trucks future. but thanks for all the input guys!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Wow X2. I'm with deathphoenix, there is a crap load of mis-information here. Pullies, cats and other "performance" stuff has nothing to do with rpm/mph. That is all gearing/rear tire size. Going down (numerically) in gear will slow the rpm's. Going up (in diameter) with rear tires will also slow down the rpm's for a givin mph. Obviously, doing the opposite, will have the opposite effect. Not having a manual box in my '10, I can't relate to any such high rpm's in 5th gear (isn't 5th OD?). My '10 only turns 2000 rpm at 70 mph with 3.42 rear gears and 25" tall rear tires. So, the 4.10's in the OP's '10 seem right to me.

·
Press Z or R twice
1,080 Posts
it is most definitely a 5th, and the cat refrence was to it sounding like it was going to blow up at a higher speed, but other than that this thread is full of phail

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yea mine does about the same. I have an 02, 5 speed xtra cab. From what i heard mostly all of the xtra cab 2.2's have 4.10 in the rear but I do about 3000 +/- 100 or so at 70mph.
If you do end up swapping the rear end let us know how it goes. I have been considering doing something to get a lower rear end ratio to help with that high rpm highway driving

·
where da white women at?
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sure as shit, GT4. so i guess 3.55s wont be that bad.

deathphoneix, how did you wire up the tach? i thought no-one found a signal wire yet? did you use an inductive pickup?

·
Electrical Mod
56,129 Posts
The tach wiring is already at the cluster's connector on all second gens.......there's a few threads on it. So every wire you need for the tach are right there at the cluster. I have a stock cluster in my s10 now with the tach built in.

·
Press Z or R twice
1,080 Posts
when i installed my tach (same one as deathphoenix, i followed a thread about running it to the ECU, it says which wire on which harness it was and it was easy enough to follow.) took about 10 minutes to install. its all over the forum.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.