S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a chance to get a 700r4 out of a 4.3l s-10 2wd, for next to nothing. Would this work with a v8 as in would it handle the power of a mildly built 350. I would need a different tailshaft, right? How about an adapter for the tranny to np207 t-case.

·
Registered
205 Posts
For some reason, the 4.3 trans will not hold up on a 350 for long. Supposedly, there is a "slip" built in to the 4.3 700's to make it better for them. Yes you have to change the tailshaft to a 4x4 one. While your transmission shop has it apart, ask them to upgrade the trans so it will give a firmer shift and do a once over to make sure all looks good. Then, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok hows this my father just found a rebuilt 700r4 out of a 84' 4x4 suburban with no miles on it for 400 bucks. I think i will get it. This will bolt right to my NP207 right? And what about hooking up the t-case shifter. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh i forgot one thing i heard these 700r4 had a certain weakness up untill 87' will this 84' give me problems in my s-10.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
it all depends on how it was rebuilt if it was rebuilt with stock parts and no updates its probably not gonna hold up to much power. but if it was rebuilt with vette parts its gonna hold up to quite a bit.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Heres the deal

the most 700r4s have troubles with the 3/4 clutches,many aftermarket companys as well as GM performance offer a H.D. clutch pack which allows you to put 8 or 9 frictions in instead of the 5 or 6 originally in there.That cures most problems unless you have mucho hp ,and are trying to outrun proflo'ds10(LOL).Another thing worth observing is the torque conv.,the 6 cyl.model wont produce the right stall speed and should be changed if going that route.early models can be made to lock up hydraulic with the use of a valve inside the valve body therefore not needing a computer.The newer models have stronger housings and a few other improvments that are preferable for hipo use and can also be made to lock up manually using a pressure switch installed in the 4th gear pressure test port and a toggle inside the truck,this set up also stops the conv.from wandering in and out and it locks up only when in 4th.when you hit it ,it feels like a 5th gear.if you need any info give us a post and we will try to help you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts