S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a 700r4 for my V-8 swap and on this tranny it has three wires coming out of it on the driver side a green one, orange, and pink, what wires go to what?? also there is a vacuum port thing on top of the tranny, where does that go to?? i have a kick down cable, but too short to hook up the stock quadrajunk carb, maybe i got the wrong braket?? what is a TV cable, do i need it on this application?? thanks for any help

Jerrod

·
Registered
619 Posts
that vacum line on top...... its a vent leave it alone
700r4 uses a detent cable.... its what you call a kick down.... if the cable reaches to the throttle linkage my guess is that its the wrong bracket if it doesn't come close..... short cable............ i suppose you could mount the cable back further and make an extension for the linkage

the wiring... ugh.. been dreading that question..... one wire is for the tcc selonoid...... dont know which one... it controls the lock up converter and can be wired to a switch or relay... not sure about the others...
what year truck are you putting this into?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
puttin this in a '91 sonoma, 2.5 auto with overdrive, i read somewhere "Maybe" can use existing wires if i have them
thanks for the help

jerrod

·
Dead Project Truck
649 Posts
VividVisions said:
puttin this in a '91 sonoma, 2.5 auto with overdrive, i read somewhere "Maybe" can use existing wires if i have them
thanks for the help

jerrod
First, the easist thing to do with your detent cable is get a throttle cable/detent cable bracket from smothing like a 91 fullsize chevy truck with a 350. You may need to also get the detent cable for that exact same truck. When I swapped a 4.3 into my truck I found out that different cars have different length cables.

In order to use your existing wiring you would have to leave your stock computer, stock wiring etc. in place. In theory it may work. You will have to get the reluctor ring from your 2.5 tranny removed and then it pressed onto your output shaft of the new v8 tranny. You will also need to use the tailshaft housing and speed sensor from your 2.5 tranny. In theory it should work, but dont hold me to it. It may just be easier to get a kit from jegs or summit to control the lock up torque converter. And yes, you do need the lockup feature to work because otherwise your tranny will eventually cook itself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i spent about 3 hours looking for a how to wiring thing and i found a great site. http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/700r4lockupcontrol.htm

and this is what is says for one of the 3 options and i like this one the best

There is a 3 pin electrical connector on the transmission (it has 4 marked positions, however only three have active pins).

Option One - TC Lock up always in 2-3-OD

Pins A and B are internally connected to the Torque converter lockup solenoid. Any time power is connected to pin A and Pin B ins grounded, the TC will lock up in 2nd, 3rd and OD (The valve body does not supply hydraulic pressure to the TC lockup circuit, so it does not lock up in 1st gear whether the TC solenoid is powered or not). Thus, in order to have the lockup in 2,3 & OD, connect pin A to switched ignition power and pin B to ground.

If anyone has time go to the website and read them and tell me if any of the other two are any better, thanks for your help

Jerrod

·
Dead Project Truck
649 Posts
Option #3 sounds best to me. You dont really want the converter to lock up in 2nd gear. Its harder on the trans and the converter. The lockup feature is to save gas and lower highway cruise rpm.
Having the converter lock up any time before you reach your cruising speed will hurt your acceleration. My truck has 3.73's in it and it spends all of about 1 minute in 2nd gear at any given time (when the tranny works right that is).

This part worries me though:
Note: This tech sheet applies to Wiring for the High Impact "Bad Boy" 700 R4, which has been developed for aftermarket conversions & upgrade applications. It does not apply to conventional GM 700R4 transmissions

Bear in mind that Gm has A LOT of different wiring set ups for the lock up control in their 700's. There was a company that made 700r4 lock up "pressure switch" (using th4000 pressure switch) conversion kits, but they went out of business over a year ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts