S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE DONE A FEW SWAPS BUT NOT WITH THE 700R4. MY MOST RECENT PROJECT TRUCK HAD THE 4.3 WITH 700R4 TRANS. 1991 MODEL. I WAS WONDERING WHEN I BOLT UP THE 350 TO THE TRANS WILL I JUST NEED TO HOOK UP THE TV CABLE TO THE CARB AND GO IF I JUST LEAVE THE WIRING TO THE TRANNY ALONE IN THE STOCK LOCATION OR DO I NEED TO BUY AND INSTALL THE LOCKUP KIT. AND IS THE FLEXPLATE FROM THE 4.3 THE SAME AS THE STANDARD CHEVY V8. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME GUYS.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I did the exact same thing in my '91 4x4. The tranny will bolt up, and all you need to do is hook up the TV cable to the carb and adjust it. However, my convertor refuses to lock, but it didn't lock with the 4.3 in there either... I used the flex plate from my 350, and it bolted right up to the R4. I am using a '71 motor. I wouldn't recommend using the 6 cylinder R4. Mine is about to take a major dump. I plan on pulling it out before it leaves me stranded. If you like to drive like "miss Daisy" than the tranny will probably last a good while. But, if every ride to work is your own personal race, like mine is, than get the tranny built to take it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
are you leaving it TBI or going carbed.... if your going carbed you wont have TCC lock up...... i dont know why boonman didn't on his when it was still a 4.3.........but even thought ecm is hooked up and all that crap....the ecm sees no rpms and thinks the VSS is wigging out so it never locks up the converter....... you can rewire the tranny.. there is a link somewhere in the tranny forum to give you more info on doing so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help guys i think i'll scrap the 700r4 and stick with the good ole th350 thanks again

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
So replacing a '92 tbi engine with a carbed 6 setup, the tranny needs to be rewired for the converter to work right? Ive never heard of that before. Crap, thats another thing I gotta figure out. Got any info on that?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I mean can you wire it so your computer somehow still sees rpm and engages it? Or is there a way around buying the kit?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Not if your going carb, the ecm needs alot of data to control the TCC.... one being RPMs and if you go carbed the ecm will see no RPMs, map, TPS, and anything else..... its like cutting off the middle of your arm and expecting use your fingers. there are ways of wiring it up yourself, go to the tranny forum and look though the posts, someone put up some websites on how todo it yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts