S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
slapppin a gool ol 350 with a 700r4 in my '91 sonoma 2.5 auto, reg cab short box

my question is will i need to shorten my driveshaft?? i mesured the tailshaft and its 7" i've read i have to, and then i don't have to. how about the crossmember?? i heard just move it back a hole?? or round out the exisiting holes?? thanks for any help

Jerrod

·
Registered
484 Posts
D'shaft

Don't know about a first gen but on my '95 we hacked off about 1 1/2" - 2" to get it to fit. The crossmember had a funny slotted mounting hole for the T5 (5 speed) mount which allowed it to accomodate the 700r4's slightly new mounting position and if I remember correctly you can also gain or lose some distance to match up the bolt holes in the tailshaft with the crossmember by spinning it 180 degrees - since the mounting holes are slightly offset relative to each other . I think it all depends on what engine mounts you use and what placement (forward or back) you finally set the motor in at , as to whether the crossmember can be reused easily or how much (if any the driveshaft has to be shortened) thats probably why you have heard the various opinions.... Kevin

·
Registered
447 Posts
On my second gen, we also had to cut like 2 inches off the shaft that goes into the tranny. Otherwise it worked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts