S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys first time posting in here i think well i just bought a 91 2 door jimmy and am selling the s15 does anyone know if i can put my alpine 6x9's in the factory speaker spots in the back or will i have to use my boxes

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
hey guys first time posting in here i think well i just bought a 91 2 door jimmy and am selling the s15 does anyone know if i can put my alpine 6x9's in the factory speaker spots in the back or will i have to use my boxes

my 88 had 6X9 mounts in the back. Though my father in laws 92 had 6.5s

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok these are rectangular shape i havnt picked it up yet but its mine cuz i love my alpine but dont want them behind rear seat like in my pickup now

·
Registered
251 Posts
The 6X9 will fit in the factory location but you might have to fabricate a spacer for the speaker as the mounting depth is shallow. I used my table saw to cut the ashtray off the factory speaker grill and added a 3/4 inch piece of plywood (Painted Black) to fit below the ashtray to mount my Pioneer 6X9 5 way speakers in the factory location. Even though it sticks further out then the factory speaker it does not interfere with lowering the rear seat back. I still have the factory ashtray mounted and the plywood spacer below. See the attached photo's.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks good nice job i think if it needs that done on mine ill keep em in the boxes and put them behind that back seats but mine shound mount in there there a farely shallow speeker

·
Registered
251 Posts
I actually got a set of speaker grills from the junkyard that I modified. This way I can always go back with the original grills if I ever decide to. I doupt it though. I am very happy with my speakers. I also have Pioneer 4X6 plates in the dash and a clarion powered sub in the rear.

·
Registered
251 Posts
looks good nice job i think if it needs that done on mine ill keep em in the boxes and put them behind that back seats but mine shound mount in there there a farely shallow speeker
There used to be aftermarket plastic speaker grills for the Blazer/Jimmy that added extra depth as well. They were meant for bottom mount speakers and included the provision for the ash tray. I think you can still find them on ebay.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nice i like my alpine stuff but ive heard clarion and um what the over one are good how are the dash speakers i donno if i wannt put 6 1/2s in the doors like on my truck or not

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There used to be aftermarket plastic speaker grills for the Blazer/Jimmy that added extra depth as well. They were meant for bottom mount speakers and included the provision for the ash tray. I think you can still find them on ebay.
interesting

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bookmarked thanks man

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would take the factory 4X6 factory speakers out and measure the mounting depth to make sure the Alpine speakers will fit. Otherwise they look like a good set of speakers.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
they should fit i know in my 85 there is enough depth the type s alpines are quite shallow speakers i know someone who had a 1500 chevy 4.3l also with the 4x6 type s in the dash

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there just over 1 inch deep so they will be perfect in there

·
Better post-em.
11,303 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i remember reading a few days ago that they have 6 1/2 inch round speakers i think

·
Registered
257 Posts
I like round speakers, so I made plates to mount 6.5's in the rear 6x9 spot. If you already have 6x9's I say use them, if not, my opinion is 6.5's. Almost all aftermarket 6x9's need the adapters to push them out, the holes are very shallow.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ya well these 9x9's are like 2.5 inches deep from the mounting points to be honest i like 6.5s to but in the front and 6x9's in the back. If they wont fit i'll put em in there boxes there in now behind the rear seat

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jman,

FYI, You may also have to notch out the corner piece of the instrument cluster on the driver side front to get the magnet of the speaker to fit. I usually just dremel off the corner. The passenger side should slide right in...

-Xlr8r

1 - 20 of 30 Posts