S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
drives a LSX zr2
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if you can use 6.0l heads on a 5.3l engine? the 5.3 is a 2003. trying to get alittle more air in. if you can do you have to use anything else or will they work fine with a comp cam with a 522 and 529 lift. are they worth the money? thanks guys

·
On da bottle
1,468 Posts
yes as long as your talking about the cathedral style 6.0 heads and not the l92/76/ls3 heads. The major problem will be the loss of compression by doing so.

·
drives a LSX zr2
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes as long as your talking about the cathedral style 6.0 heads and not the l92/76/ls3 heads. The major problem will be the loss of compression by doing so.

you mean ill lose compression if i put the wrong heads on there? or ill lose compression if i just put 6.0L heads on it? thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,878 Posts
The combustion chamber of a 317 head is 71cc
I believe the 5.3 is less: 62cc?
LS1 Head is around 66cc

You will lose compression by installing a set of 317 heads on a 5.3 engine without changing the pistons or milling the heads.

It's been a long day guys, correct me if I am wrong.

·
drives a LSX zr2
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You'll lose compression if you use cathedral port 6.0 heads on your 5.3. The chamber is larger. The rectangular ports should not be used on your engine.

ok i have another question. i plan on boring the engine out to a 5.7L and using a ls1 piston. would the stock 5.3 heads work fine with this setup? or what kind of heads should i buy. im on a budget dont wnat to spend over 400 bucks if i can get away with it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
ok i have another question. i plan on boring the engine out to a 5.7L and using a ls1 piston. would the stock 5.3 heads work fine with this setup? or what kind of heads should i buy. im on a budget dont wnat to spend over 400 bucks if i can get away with it.
It all depends on how much power you want to make and what compression you are going to run. If you are talking about using a stock OEM LS1 piston with your 5.3 smaller chambered heads, you can make good power. Not great power but good power. The bump in compression will help a lot. My buddy had an LS1 A4 Camaro. We left the bottom end stock. Installed lightly ported 5.3 heads (can't remember the casting number), LS6 intake, my LS6 cam, underdrive pulley, CAI and exhaust. He got the car deep in the 11s. I consider that very strong for the money he put in the car.

·
yep
892 Posts
What is the casting number on the 5.3 heads? There are many different heads that will make a difference flow number compression ect. Your going to have a hard time making the 400$ budget IMO if you decide to bore the 5.3 block plus not all 5.3 blocks will take it.

·
drives a LSX zr2
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It all depends on how much power you want to make and what compression you are going to run. If you are talking about using a stock OEM LS1 piston with your 5.3 smaller chambered heads, you can make good power. Not great power but good power. The bump in compression will help a lot. My buddy had an LS1 A4 Camaro. We left the bottom end stock. Installed lightly ported 5.3 heads (can't remember the casting number), LS6 intake, my LS6 cam, underdrive pulley, CAI and exhaust. He got the car deep in the 11s. I consider that very strong for the money he put in the car.
im not really sure honesstly on the pistons. if i can find a pretty good set forged preferrably ill get them but for now stock. would i make better power with the ls1 heads or regular 5.3 heads if my motor is bored out to a ls1? i found a set of ls1 heads that are online but they havent ended yet i think there gona sell for cheap.

·
yep
892 Posts
We really need to know the casting numbers on the stuff your looking at, will also help you alot there is a ton of info in heads out there. The ls6 heads would be 243 heads some were sodium filled vales some standard valves depending on what car they came on. the 799 casting head is the same as the 243 and came on some motors a 243 on one side and a 799 on the other.
For the ls1 head they had different ones on different years. I have a set setting in the garage but there an odd year that has perrimiter bolt valve covers apposed the the center bolt valve covers. this is all stuff you need to look at not just they are for a ls1.

Hope this helps a little

The casting number is located here

·
drives a LSX zr2
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We really need to know the casting numbers on the stuff your looking at, will also help you alot there is a ton of info in heads out there. The ls6 heads would be 243 heads some were sodium filled vales some standard valves depending on what car they came on. the 799 casting head is the same as the 243 and came on some motors a 243 on one side and a 799 on the other.
For the ls1 head they had different ones on different years. I have a set setting in the garage but there an odd year that has perrimiter bolt valve covers apposed the the center bolt valve covers. this is all stuff you need to look at not just they are for a ls1.

Hope this helps a little

The casting number is located here

they have 862 on the heads. this is actually a 4.8L engine with 4.8 heads, im not sure if the 4.8 and 5.3 heads are the same. but im making it a 5.7 by boring it out since the 4.8L and 5.3L have the same bore. i already have a 5.3 crank with ls1 rods. working on the pistons next.

·
Bowtie Til I Die
2,341 Posts
don't bother with boring the block. Make it a 5.3 and either keep the heads you have or get some 243 or 799 heads. Spend the money you were going to boring it out on an aftermarket cam and ls6 intake. You will get more hp/$ doing it this way.

READ this article where they picked up some NICE hp with just a cam swap. It also should answer a lot of the questions you have about the 5.3 vs. 5.7
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0804_325_chevy_small_block_engine/index.html

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
remember one thing in building an engine. HEADS MAKE THE ENGINE BREATHE. Having shitty heads will give you shitty numbers.

·
drives a LSX zr2
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
don't bother with boring the block. Make it a 5.3 and either keep the heads you have or get some 243 or 799 heads. Spend the money you were going to boring it out on an aftermarket cam and ls6 intake. You will get more hp/$ doing it this way.

READ this article where they picked up some NICE hp with just a cam swap. It also should answer a lot of the questions you have about the 5.3 vs. 5.7
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0804_325_chevy_small_block_engine/index.html
yea never thought of it that way. i planned on putting a cam in it actually i just bought one. its a comp cams 54-412-11 it has a 522 and 529 lift nothing huge since it will be a daily driver. im keeping the stock truck intake because i dont want to spend alot more money on an accessory drive and ls6 intake. i would love to do that but to expensive. know anyone who has 243 or 799 heads? i can actually have it bored out for 100 bucks but is it worth it or keep it the way it is?

·
Bowtie Til I Die
2,341 Posts
Unless the cylinder walls are in bad shape and needed to be bored out extensively i would just keep it a 5.3 but that is just my opinion. Im not entirely sure there is always and exception to every rule but i believe the 243 came on the LS6 and i believe you can find the 799 on around 06+ 5.3 L33. which is called the HO 5.3

·
yep
892 Posts
Unless the cylinder walls are in bad shape and needed to be bored out extensively i would just keep it a 5.3 but that is just my opinion. Im not entirely sure there is always and exception to every rule but i believe the 243 came on the LS6 and i believe you can find the 799 on around 06+ 5.3 L33. which is called the HO 5.3

You can also find them on the 5.3 out of the SSR thats where my dad found his. Your going to proably spend $400+ for a used set of 243's just a heads up. check the classified over at ls1tech.com check everyday dont just go buying some just because, You can find deals if you wait. I got a fresh set of 243's with new patriot gold valve springs, new arp head studs and new head gaskets for $450.

·
drives a LSX zr2
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
would these heads work? i found a set of heads on line with this part number 1256423. the guy says they came off a z06 corvette. they have the 243 casting number on them. are them just like a truck head with a 243 casting? there 400 $ with no parts on them just bare but i have all the head parts anyway.

·
yep
892 Posts
would these heads work? i found a set of heads on line with this part number 1256423. the guy says they came off a z06 corvette. they have the 243 casting number on them. are them just like a truck head with a 243 casting? there 400 $ with no parts on them just bare but i have all the head parts anyway.

I dont think that the 862's have the same size valves as the 243's Im not positive on this tho. So you could still need to get valves.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts