S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
limeade
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just looking into this for the future, but I was wondering what all I would need to do to put a 2001 6.0 in a 2001 S10 (4.3)? Could I use the same trans and rear-end ( I know its weak, but I only want to put down about 300 rwhp) What all would be needed computer wise? A new harness and re-program?

Thx :)

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
You will need the 6.0 tranmission as well as the harness and the computer. I think those motors stock out of the silverados make like 345 maybe so that's an easy 300 at the wheels. A few bolts on you could get more or even a supercharger for around 500hp.

·
limeade
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do they use the normal 350 swap radiator, and mounts? How much can the stcok rear-end hold? If it can hold about 375ish, thats fine. Would I have to send off the harnesses to have them combined, or I would just use the 6.0's harness, and everything electrical?

Thx :)

·
Certified MASShole
4,372 Posts
well the silverado ss motor is rated at 345hp i think all the 6.0s are. seems stupid to have .3 liters more than an ls1 and loose over 50 hp.. just my thinkin

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
Thats because you think about the peak numbers only and dont take in to concideration the entire torque curve or the size and weight of the vehicle its designed for....

·
Registered
324 Posts
SweetS10V8 said:
Thats because you think about the peak numbers only and dont take in to concideration the entire torque curve or the size and weight of the vehicle its designed for....
youre right a buddy of mine has a quad cab 1500 with the 6.0 and no matter waht speed youre at if you floor it it pegs youre butt to the seat.

·
Broke down
565 Posts
if you are only looking at 300 at the wheels. you could use either the 6.0 or the LS1 they are both genIII small blocks. the LS1 will provide better cooling due to the aluminum block, but it will cost you more. And the 6.0 since it is an iron block will withstand more power incase you get "the bug". if you are definately going to do the 6.0, I would look into swapping the intake for an LS1 type. they are lower profile, and would eliminate the possibility of hood clearance issues. It has been some time since i've seen the flow numbers of the 6.0 heads. but you might also think about picking up some 243 head castings (i beleive that is the correct number) off of an LS6. those heads, along with an LS6 intake, and a properly matched cam, and you've easily got 350+. as for a harness. contact current performance...since they are both GEN III engines, and if you swap the heads and intake, you basically have an iron block 6.0L LS1, so all you will need is an LS1 swap harness.

·
Got spray? Got boost? (y)
3,084 Posts
lol. there is absolutly no need to swap the intake or heads. The 317 castings that are on the 6.0's after 01' are the sme port design and size as the ls6 head. The only diff. being the combustion chamber size. The lq4 could be had with 300 or 320 hp and the lq9 was 345 hp, found in the cadilac escalade and the Silverado SS. The truck intake will clear a stock hood and flows just as well as the ls-6 intake and better then the ls-1 intake. A 6.0 would be very worthwhile swap that makes great power out of the box.

·
Broke down
565 Posts
id never seen a 6.0 in an s-10. i just know that the intake is taller. wasn't sure how much.

on the heads. do they have the same valve size? and are the flowbench numbers the same?

·
Registered
146 Posts
early lq4's had iron head's but the rest are aluminuim. I think 01 they went to all aluminum head's on all of them. no 100% on the year though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts